Stanley, Idaho

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Stanley, Idaho is a small town in central Idaho. It is close to several lakes and the Salmon River. We were about 5 miles away from it on our Redfish Lake trip. The Sawtooth mountains are in the background. The little stream dumps into the Salmon river a few hundred yards from where I stood here.

It was COLD. There was frost on the ground.

There were only a couple of minutes of this pretty, golden sunlight before clouds moved in. The day was very cloudy and windy after this.

original.

2. That's a real beauty, Terri. And we here in the east would love to have some of that cool air now!

3. What a lovely scene, and the light is gorgeous. Well done, Terri.

4. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Beautiful shot Terri. I told Doug how envious I was of him being in the Smokies. I am just as envious of you too.

5. Beautiful composition and light, Terri - call the chamber of commerce and license it to them!

I've wanted to move to Stanley for several years - the cool summer nights, alpine terrain and high elevation make it so attractive.

Sean

6. Very beautiful, indeed! I like the composition with the big stones in the foreground which leads me to the question: Terri, do you remember where you focussed at? I'm curious whether f/11 is enough to get the foreground sharp when focussing at inf. or wether you focussed in between.

7. Beautiful scene with perfect light. Great capture. They must be hearty souls who live up there. Frost in August!

8. :Shocked::Shocked::Shocked::Shocked::Shocked:

Beautiful, Terri. Dang yur good at this!:smile:

9. Hi Terri, beautiful shots of Stanley. I wonder why I have never been there. Love the lighting you captured with this shot. Did you say frost? I would just like to get below 70 in the coolest part of the night.

10. Really nice Terry. Well cropped and would make a great print.

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    nice job on both the foeground and background detail, good dof, well thought out compo. and of course that beautiful silky golden light.

Wade

12. Beautiful image and composition, Terri. The foreground rocks and the taller mountains on the right balance each other nicely.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Beautiful shot, the composition really leads your eye into the picture, and the warm directional light is a treat. The light on the leftmost mount is maybe a little hot but everything else about this image fits together nicely.

14. Very nice lighting and great composition.

15. Lovely, outstanding work!

16. Stunning! Beautiful! Way to go Terri....

I was raised in Mountain Home Idaho... you got me homesick....

My best boyhood memories are all about sagebrush, hunting, snow capped mountains and campfires... thanks...

17. Beautiful, Terri. Excellent work!

18. What beautiful landscape image Terri, outstanding!

19. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Jim,
    I know what you mean. We've been so hot this summer. Yesterday it was in the 80s here and it felt WONDERFUL!! Stanley, Idaho is very often the cold spot in the nation. It is brutal there in the winter, although I've never visited it then.

Dave,
    Thank you. The light was beautiful for just a few minutes. It was worth the wait, even though I was frozen.

Rex,
    It is nice to live in such a beautiful area. We've got a lot of people moving here from all over. Not sure that is such a good thing.

Sean,
    I like to visit there, but no moving there for me. Winter would be brutal.....
    Do you think Stanley has a Chamber of Commerce?:confused: It is a pretty small town. Never mind, I just looked, and they do. Bet nearly everyone who lives there belongs to it.

20. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Daniel,
    I focused on the little grassy area in the water where the stream makes a left curve. I just looked it up in NX. Glad you liked the photo.

I agree about hearty souls living there. It seems to be colder there than in Teton Park. It is quite similar, though.

Thanks, Chris.

Gordon,
    You need to go there someday. The drive from Sun Valley to Stanley is beautiful. There are many lakes all along the base of the Sawtooth Mountains. It's quite similar to the Tetons without all the people.

I bet you have been hot. We've been miserable here this summer and it is probably much cooler than St. George.