Star Brush for PSCS5

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Baywing, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm looking for a star brush template (plug in) for PSCS5. I want to add some specular highlights for effect and am looking for a brush template. I've searched around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. (Free would be nice!) Looking to replicate a star filter and/or the starburst effect from a pin point light source taken thru a small aperture.
    TIA

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

There is a Topaz effect that does this automatically.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, I am hoping to be able to do it manually to taste.

4. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    There are probably hundreds that you could download as brushes or indeed a template containing many images but have you considered making your own star brushes - its pretty easy?

Define a blank canvas at say 500 px square and draw your star shape select all then from the PS menu EDIT > Define Brush Preset and you are done. You may want to experiment with blurring and rotating etc

Have a look at these shapes for inspiration even cut out a few and try the effect before making your own version
    Star patterns

Attached Files:

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Excellent assortment of star shapes. How would you use them...or make them into a brush?

6. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I would not use these as they are just a grab from screen with the intention of showing some ideas.

These might be better
    Clicky

To use just isolate single star (crop or cut) then go to Edit/Define Brush Preset, give it a name and that's all there is to it your brush will be saved with the other PS brushes

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Thanks, Tony. Since starts are usually some shade of white, would I have to invert the file first. Would I have to eliminate the background and save as a .png for a transparent background? Or am I over-thinking this? LOL!

8. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Hi Karen, maybe a tad overthinking ;) somehow we expect PS to be more difficult than this. :D

Just do your brush black on white do not worry about transparency as PS takes care of this. Your brush will take on your foreground colour as normal, so for a star use white or even black for evil stars :cool: