Star of Bethlehem, (Ornithogalum umbellatum)

This wildflower is considered by some to be an invasive plant. It’s one of only a few such plants that I enjoy seeing on my property:wink:.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
http://www.greenapple.com/~rcoutant/temp/DSC_4082sm.jpg

Nice photo, Bob. It is a nice looking flower, too. Be careful with your animals.
I read that it is lethal to livestock(I also read somewhere else that it is edible).
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Dave. You're right, it is toxic -- you might have read my comment in the medicinal plant thread 2 years ago:wink:

As with many medicinals, this plant is toxic when used inappropriately. The bulbs contain glycosides similar to digitalis. Blindness and even death of livestock and humans have been reported. Nonetheless, the bulb is said to be edible and remedies prepared from the bulbs are claimed to be effective in treating certain types of cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Mike
Nice job on the image Bob. The ones I planted a few years ago have spread, but not more so than any other bulb I've planted, and certainly not to the point that I would call them invasive. I wouldn't mind if they spread a little faster and further actually.

Nice job on the image Bob. The ones I planted a few years ago have spread, but not more so than any other bulb I've planted, and certainly not to the point that I would call them invasive. I wouldn't mind if they spread a little faster and further actually.
Thanks, Mike. Yes, these are not nearly as bad as many other "invasive" plants. I think the major concern is with their potential toxicity for livestock.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom