STAR trails - Another African Star Trail

M

Mitchell-Krog

Hi All, braved the cold again tonight to get a more circular star trail than the ones I did last week. This was a 30 minute exposure and I did some processing in Nikon Capture & Photoshop to produce the final image. The haziness you see in parts of the star trail is the magellanic cloud (milky way).

Enjoy .... and of course your C&C always very valued.

Nikon D70 | Nikkor 18-70mm DX | Manual (Bulb) | 1799.60 sec @ F/3.5 | ISO 200

mkrog-likearecordbaby.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More inspiration! I like it, Mitch. The Milky Way adds a neat effect. How careful do you have to be about light contamination from other sources? I note you are located on a farm, so it must be dark, but I see a glow on the tree to the right and it made me wonder how much ambient light would spoil the picture.

M

Mitchell-Krog

Hi Pam, glad you like it. :smile: We are pretty dark out here and I turn off all outside lights and house lights so that near me there is no contamination. We do however have a few chicken farms and other commercial farms which have huge floodlights which is what caused the glow on the tree to the right and also what causes the slight orangy clouring on the bottom section of the photo. I drop the exposure a bit in Nikon Capture to compensate a little for that. If I take a drive North for about 20 minutes I should be able to drive off the road somewhere and be in total darkness and it is something I intend to do one night soon.

i always love to see star trails. nicely done, i need to go do this again, its been some time.

any idea why many of the star trails themselves appear to be "dotted" for lack of better word?

Nice shot. I've spent many a night doing star trails and defocus of star trails but don't have any available here right now except this one from one of my web sites.

hb3997trail.jpg

i wanted to post one to emphasize the reversal of the trails' arc in my northern latitude compared to your southern location. :smile:

M

Mitchell-Krog

charliec said:
i always love to see star trails. nicely done, i need to go do this again, its been some time.

any idea why many of the star trails themselves appear to be "dotted" for lack of better word?

Hi Charlie, many thanks, indeed you should get out and do some more star trails, I find it quite fun to sit for 30 minutes and wonder "what the hell am i going to get" ... it's a surprise every time :smile:

Not sure I understand about the "dotted" trails?

M

Mitchell-Krog

alaskahutch said:
Nice shot. I've spent many a night doing star trails and defocus of star trails but don't have any available here right now except this one from one of my web sites.

hb3997trail.jpg

i wanted to post one to emphasize the reversal of the trails' arc in my northern latitude compared to your southern location. :smile:

Thanks Alaskahutch ... very nice pic. Nice to see the spin in reverse .... interesting universe we live in :smile:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom