Star Trek in 3D

Saw the new Star Trek movie in a nice theater in 3D Sun night. I was highly entertained. Sure the plot had some holes, but I just relaxed and rolled with the movie. Some of the action scenes practically caused vertigo.

Looks to be setting up another production for this series. I look forward to it.

To me, the Spock character is the real star of this recent series but some of the character actors added to the final product.

I saw it this weekend too but the 3D seemed like it was an afterthought. Iron Man 3 3D was awesome though. It was the best 3D I've seen yet. I didn't like the Iron Man 3 movie as much though. Its funny to me that in the first two Iron Man movies he could be shot by jets and tanks but in the new Iron Man 3 movie the suits fall apart so easy.

I think the Star Trek 3D was just too much going on and confusing sometimes. I did like the movie but laughed out loud when there was a role reversal and Spock yelled "Kahn!!"

Really? I watched Star Trek and felt like they basically shot it for 3D. Lots of depth of focus and stuff that played really, really well into the style and the 3D aspect.

*SPOILER ALERT* - STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT THE MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU!
I knew the role reversal from Spock dying in The Wrath of Kahn to Kirk dying in The Edge of Darkness was going to happen LONG before it happened. I just had a feeling.

Was still very entertaining, though. But the typical blue/amber colors of ALL the action movies these days were present, and the typical JJ Adrams lens flare was going strong all movie long.

I don't care for 3D. To me, it always seems like a gimmick and not an organic part of the story and the movie experience. For me, how the movie is shot, how the sound is integrated into the whole (including soundtrack in addition to the fx), and how the overall "look" of the movie fits the story and topic are the keys to a good movie experience. You can keep the 3D. Now, where did I put the microwave popcorn?

I saw Star Trek in 3D and was bummed finding out when I arrived to the theater (I had no intention of seeing it in 3D). I thought it was just a regular screening and I didn't want to pay the 3D premium! I always take the 3D glasses home with me, since your ticket price reflects the purchase of the additional hardware! :eek: :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it one weekend with mates in 3D the the follwoing w/end with my 9yo son in 2D

Enjoyed it both times - i didnt see much difference / loss in teh 2D

I don't care for 3D. To me, it always seems like a gimmick and not an organic part of the story and the movie experience. For me, how the movie is shot, how the sound is integrated into the whole (including soundtrack in addition to the fx), and how the overall "look" of the movie fits the story and topic are the keys to a good movie experience. You can keep the 3D. Now, where did I put the microwave popcorn?

I'm with you on 3D Doug. The only film that has impressed me in 3D was The Hobbit first installment, and only because it was the high frame rate version. I like regular movies at 24 frames per second, but if they are going for 3D realism, might as well throw in the soap opera effect as well.

The sound for the newest Star Trek was amazing in the IMAX theater though. I prefer a very dynamic presentation, and this one delivered, though my friends commented that they felt some parts were way too loud for their taste.

My wife and I saw it in 3D at an IMAX theater. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife shyly admits to having been a "Trekie" in her youth. She knew all the old episodes, including "Trouble with Tribbles", that had kind of cameo spots in the movie. I find it funny, because she's otherwise not a geek at all! :)

I find it difficult to understand how JJ abrams is responsible for Lost, which was a slow moving, methodical affair could be responsible for the last two star trek movies which are both ADHD inducing slock fests.

Here's hoping that when he does the star wars movies they won't be flare filled camera bouncing around affairs and that they look like star wars movies.

I've been underwhelmed by 3D thus far - it seems like add-ons and gimmicks and not integral to the plot/experience. Maybe I expect too much, but to me 3D should feel that you are "in" the film.

The closest that I ever felt immersed in a film was "Saving Private Ryan" due to the surround sound. With the bullets whizzing by, I actually felt like ducking too with the soldiers on the beach. And that wasn't 3D.

Back to the OP, I did enjoy the Star Trek movie, but viewed it in 2D. A bit over the top and somewhat predictable, it was, nevertheless, highly entertaining .

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom