Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, May 21, 2005.

1. I just watched the movie today and thought it was pretty entertaining. The effects were by far the best I've seen and I was thoroughly impressed. The story was probably the best from the first 3 movies, but still doesn't measure up to episode 4 to 6. If you want to watch non-stop light saber fights, then episode 3 is full of them. Anyways, I'm sure most know the story...some areas felt rushed, and to be honest the best acting was done by Yoda, despite being animated in CG. I sorta wished they used some puppetry though, even though the CG looks amazing, something about a live puppet looks more realistic. Anyways, I recommend watching it, I think it's worth the price of admission, and definitely needs to be seen on the big screen. Anyways, here's a shot of opening night at Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood. Nice theatre, but the admission is way expensive, I ended up watching at another theatre and paid $5.00 (cheap for LA)! The Star Wars geeks were out in full force! :p

[​IMG]

2. I have tickets for performance at 2030 hrs tonight.

Hopefully there will not be too many geeks about.

BW Bob F.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    My wife has not seen any of the movies :!: :!: :!:
    I'm not sure what rock she was living under in Virgina

4. Hi Jonathan, cool photo. Haven't seen the movie yet but will probably go.

5. I watched it with my son. It's great.

I fell in love with Star Wars immediately after watching episode IV almost
    30 years ago. It has been part of my life since then. When episode I
    finally came, I took my boy to the first show. The cinema was full of
    people of my age wearing Star Wars T-shirts and taking the chidren with
    them. We looked at each other and smiled like long lost friends. When
    the intro began, everyone was clapping and yelling.

My boy didn't understand the thrill then, but now he has become a die-hard fan.

I was very emotional after watching episode III. The other fans will
    understand. 28 years! I still can't believe the force has been with us
    for so long.

I am going to watch it again next Sunday. A friend has booked a
    whole cinema with free flow of popcorn and soda. Can't miss the
    fun. Just have to decide which mask to wear - Vader or Yoda?

6. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Phil,

I'm right there with you, only my son is too young to experience the thrill just yet. In my older, more rational mind, I was trying not to be as excited as I was to see III.

But I was there, in line, at 10:00 pm for a midnight show and went to work on 2 hrs. sleep. And it was completely worth it.

May the force be with you!

Gregg

7. I tend to agree w/ Jonathan's assessment even though I'm just old enough to have fallen in love w/ the whole Star Wars franchise from the very beginning like Phil and Gregg.

Personally, I'd say it's roughly equal to Return of the Jedi -- somethings are a bit better and somethings are a bit worse, but it doesn't get cut as much slack because I'm not a kid anymore. :D Critically speaking, I thought it was pretty good given its overall context, but not completely satisfying. I agree that some places just felt a bit rushed as if Lucas got too tired of this whole thing (again) and was just going through the motions of wrapping it all up -- I wish he'd been more efficient w/ Episode 2 and not quite so w/ this one.

And since I look at Star Wars through the "lens" of my wuxia/anti-hero/etc. cinematic upbringing where Lucas tapped much of the ideas for this franchise, :D I can't help but feel like there should be more even though he obviously intended the primary target audience to be kids, not adults, though adults can enjoy them also.

And yeah, I agree that the CG is still not real looking enough, including Yoda, especially on the close-ups. He just looks too perfectly and evenly lit on the close-ups for one thing and a bit lacking in image depth, and the colors remind me of Canon colors -- you know, that Canon green for instance. :D I have to agree that I still prefer good physical models and puppetry w/ some digital enhancements over complete CG creations. I also wonder about the (lack of) maturity of the digital video technology being pushed into the filmmaking industry by Lucas and company. I was not that impressed by the DLP presentation of this movie either -- was my first as I saw the others on film. It was perfectly clean and sharp w/ vibrant colors, yes, but it just seemed to lack a bit in detail and overall smoothness whether in resolution or color gradation. If I ever break down and buy the DVD (because I'll also have to buy the other prequels, which I hated), I'd expect it to look better, more film-like, on my HD RPTV than in the DLP presentation I saw even though DVD has less resolution than the DLP presentation.

_Man_

8. I look forward to go and see it (Biiiig screen, of course).
    My first son was just a few years old at the first Star Wars and grew up with it. He is 30 now and dying to see this one as well.