Stars in His Eyes

Discussion in 'People' started by Angelo, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    probably not one of my best snaps but still open to comments and critiques from my Cafe friends...

[​IMG]

2. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    41 hits and not one comment!? OK OK I can take a hint :eek:

I knew it wasn't all that good. :redface:

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Angelo :

Actually, I think it's a neat shot that might just gain by a tighter crop on the subject, while still leaving a little room on his left (sort of "glancing space" as it were). However, as is, the street to the left of the musician takes away from the impact of him, and the impact is lessened.

It's a good capture of an interesting moment.

And I think the glasses are a hoot ! :biggrin:

John P.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    We have lots of lurkers and guests. Don't let it get you down.

About your picture. I think that it is pretty cool. He even has a portable amp for his guitar.

There is a lot of soul in this picture. He's probably been around a bit and seen a lot. Toured with B.B. King perhaps.:)

Thanks for sharing,

5. Angelo,
    I agree with John. This is an interesting shot, but it needs a tighter crop to draw me into the subject. There is just too much road and a distracting traffic cone on the left. Perhaps a wider aperture to decrease the DOF and deemphasize the background would make the performer pop a little more.

6. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Angelo,

I have to agree With Mitchell. Awider apature would have definetly helped here.

Great subject !

Dan

7. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey guys thanks a lot. I guess a little begging helps??? :biggrin:

OK - so tighter crop? you should see what I started with... :eek: this is about 50% of the original but I will try tightening it up.

I see everyone's point about the cone. I only left it in because I thought it lended to the "street scene" quality.

DOF is something I don't always "get" very well. If anyone has time I wouldn't mind a little direction on how to better acheive shallow DOF.

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    This shot reminds me of when I used to live in SoCal....I was a valley girl in the 80's!!! I used to love it when we'd go to Sunset and walk around just taking it all in....too bad I wasn't into photography way back then...

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Angelo :

Not so much a questions of "begging", but I didn't look at the photo earlier in the day. I think the crop needs to be close onto the subject, possibly cutting off the portable amp, or bisecting it, close over the head, and losing as much of the street as possible. As I mentioned yesterday, leave some "glancing room" to the left of the subject. Try not to directly centre him.

Very very simplified answer for DOF - larger aperture (lower f/stop) leads to shallow DOF, while a smaller aperture (higher f/stop) leads to increased DOF. DOF can bite you if you go too shallow, however, because you'll get faces where the nose is focused but not the eyes. DOF is also going to be (somewhat) dependent on the distance from the camera to the subject, with more net DOF for a given aperture at a greater distance from the camera to the subject.

Other better qualified folks here will likely cavil at the gross simplifications I've made, and that's fair enough, they're gross simplifications, after all. If you Google the subject, you can find almost doctoral level discussions on this for much more info. :Smart: :Dizzy:

John P.

10. Hi Angelo, my comments are much like the others. The crop could come down between the cone and the man and then cut across the control on the guitar. I would not cut any more off the top as you don't want to crowd his head when that is the main subject. I would probably clone out the one bright light above and to the left of his head. It is really a decent image and with just a little work it would be excellent. I like his expression, it's as if he is really into his music.

11. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK, here's my attempt at applying everyone's suggestions, which were for the most part, unanimous.

Nothing much I can do about the DOF now. I tried applying a little blur in post but really didn't like the outcome.

I shot this at f8, 1/640, 70mm. From what I've read here I'm understanding I could've shot at f4, f5, f6 (?) for a shallower DOF.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

[​IMG]

12. Nice shot, Angelo. I really like the tighter crop.

13. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Mitch (doubly so) :smile: