Start of the swimming season

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Jun 18, 2005.

1. OK Hans you asked for it :D hope you don't get sick of theses it is a long season
    Well today was our clubs time trials,where the kids swim all four strokes and there best times recorded, this helps the coaches utilize the kids in different meets. So I was able to get out and work off some of the rust from last season. Last year I shot with the D100 this year the D2H. All shots with the Nikon 70-200VR setting in cam were:
    A mode
    Continuous focus
    single area focus point
    ISO 200
    WB Cloudy -2
    Here they are
    Butterfly...my fiancés daughter
    original.
    The start
    View attachment 10588
    Backstroke.... one of four from the same family on the team and everyone of them are fantastic swimmers in their own right
    View attachment 10589
    Freestyle
    View attachment 10590
    Breaststroke
    View attachment 10591
    Breaststroke... this little guys eyes got bigger as he neared the wall
    View attachment 10592
    Backstroke ...off the turn as he pops out from under the water
    View attachment 10593

2. Wow- those are excellent Mike, crystal clear and as sharp as a pin. Thanks

Peter

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Mike,

Very nice color, compositions and sharpness.

Hope I can get nice sharp pics with my new 70-200 VR ....

I am very curious what settings you use with your D100.
    I have always had tooooo much red. Finally set it it low contrast, hue -9.. Think it needs to go for cleaning and overall adjustments.

Have tried different WB...

Always just thought it was me.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    All fantastic shots, but the first and last are the ones that stand out to me! Wonderful sharpness and color!

5. I like all of them, the details in the water sometimes look like glass scultures.

6. Crystal Mike! You got the gift.

_/oe

7. Great series, Mike! I really like "the start."

Virginia

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Outstanding series of images Mike. I have never shot swimming but you have definately peaked my interest. What was your shutter speed on these images?

9. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Mike
    It was worth every minute waiting for them,these are fantastic
    More to come I understand I certainly won't be bored.

The first "breaststroke"is my favorite

10. Mike I had a few people look at your picture and the definitive winner is #5 followed by #6.

11. jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

May 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Astonishing pictures Mike! I'll follow Hans for the rest!

12. Hey Mike,

Another brilliant series you have here! Where you "in" the pool yourself? It sure feels like it. Amazingly clear and sharp pictures: #1 and #5 are my favorites.

13. Thanks Peter The D2H with the 70-200 is a killer combo

14. thanks Galye wait till you see what that 70-200 is capable of in your compentent hands

15. The first is my fiances daughter and she has become quite the little swimmer
    The pool water makes all the colors so vibrant, thanks for looking

16. Thanks I know what you mean about the water, it can get in the way sometimes

17. Thanks Joe, I really enjoy this type of shooting

18. Thanks Virginal, I am trying so new shots and angles and that is one of them

19. Thansk if you get a chance give it a try there is a great market in sellign prints to the parents, I tried to keep the shutter speed above a 1/1000 s on these

20. Thanks Hans glad you liek them we have a meet this Satruday and then the following Tuesday so there will be amny more