1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Starting a PC build shortly...

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Desert Rat, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Well, looks like I have decided on the new system setup.. Now waiting for Intel price cuts in about a week...

Antec P182 case
    Quadcore 6600 ($266 after price cuts)
    Intel 975XBX2 Motherboard
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler
    Zalman 600HP power supply
    Corsair XMS2 DHX PC6400 (2x2GB) total of 8GB
    Probably a RAID 1 array for OS and APPS or might get a Raptor Drive from..
    400-500GB storage drive for images. (already have external drive for redundancy of images)
    Nvidia 8600GT 256MB video card from EVGA propably
    Vista 64bit Premium
    Plextor DVD-R burner
    extra Antec case fan

2. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Looks very good!

Check out the new 750GB drives from Western Digital. They are en par with the Raptors but run quieter and cooler.

Enjoy!

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Looks like a killer system.

One thing:

Have you looked at LIAN LI cases? I've built computers from scratch and worked on too many others from too many other manufactures. And theses cases are probably the best I've seen. An yes I've use Antec and they are very good.

4. Well, the 750GB WD drives are still pretty expensive in comparison... Maybe the prices will drop.

I was thinking of setting up a RAID 1 setting to keep my OS and apps backed up.. I had a failue once and now just ghost the main drive on another..

Figured I could get 2 Raptors just for OS and apps and do that setup to keep the speed and redundancy.

5. Looked at some Lian Li cases, but they seemd a bit pricey and just didn't appeal to me in the look of the setup... I like the power supply on the bottom separate from the rest of the system....

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Yes, but that means that the big power cable goes across the ports for the drives as it will sit at the top of the case and the drive ports are at the bottom.

7. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Power Supply

I would consider a more powerful power supply - like 750W. Vista and the newer components tend to be power hogs. I just built an Antec 182, 750W PS, nVidia 8800GTS, Vista Ultimate, etc

8. Actually with the P182 there is a nice cable management system the routes the cables behind the mainboard and comes around just where the power plugs are.. At least on the board i am getting...

9. Yeah I looked at a huge power supply, but figured out the numbers and 600 was more than enough...

10. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    The only thing I would look at for power supplies is:

How many drives can the case hold and how many connectors does the motherboard have?

11. You will be fine Eric. I am running 4 hard drives, E6600 on an ASUS MB and 2 ATI X1550pro video cards on the same Power Supply as you are getting.

It is still the coolest running PS I have ever used.

12. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
    You may want to check out if the PSU has all connectors you are going to use for your new build. I just found out recently that my PSU doesn't have connector for floppy drive(it's rarely useful although I need to load 3rd party drivers when install XP). New connector types for modern parts includes:
    PCI-E video card; fan connector to monitor PSU's fan speed(connect to motherboard); connector for some sata drives. multiple 12V connectors for motherboard(4pin,8pin etc).

13. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
  14. Actually, i already have the power supply.. it arrived yesterday.. It has all the power ATX 24 pin and ATX 8pin connectors.. It also is a modular system and had a PCI Xpress16 connectors (x2) Along with a bunch of molex and Sata connectors...
    I think I will have more cables that I am going to use from what i can tell...

15. It specs at 84% efficient, which is way better than the Antec I currently have that is only 70% efficiency...

16. Well I finally did it this past weekend... The price was right on the CPU. Not totally put together.. Currently ony running on 4GB ram with Vista 64bit...

System really smokes in processing...

A unscientific test showed a stitched panorama.
    10 image stitch of 70MB files.

old system P4 3.0Ghz 3GB ram 9 minutes
    new system Quadcore 3.4Ghz 4GB Ram 2 minutes

17. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    As many other storage pundits here will warn you, RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

18. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Sounds great.

Bear in mind that the Intel boards are no good for overclocking, but with a 6600 Quad I guess there isn't much point in overclocking.

You mentioned RAID 1. What performance increase do you expect to get? I am also considering a RAID setup, but was playing with the thought of RAID 0, backing up my data on another non-RAID drive.

19. Actually already built the system ... This specific board the Intel 975XBX2 board can be overclocked..... I went with a RAID 1 for redundancy of the OS and apps disc. I don't expect much performance increase... If you want better performance then go with a RAID 5 which gives you a mirroring along with a striped array for better speed...

20. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    RAID5 is better reads but worse write performance. In the lower end controllers, the write performance is worse than a single disk...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.