1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Starting a Photo Club at my school, ideas for meetings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wgilles, Aug 28, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Hey everyone, had my involvement fair at my College today. I started a Photo Club this year and we had a lot of interest from students today at the fair, we got nearly 30 sign ups. Anyway, I have a general idea of what I want to do at club meetings:

1) Walk around campus and take pictures to help members improve composition, etc.
    2) Critique members photo and give advice, praise, etc.
    3) Photoshop classes for post-processing
    4) Organize trips to surrounding areas and cities to shoot

Does anyone else have any other ideas that would really keep people coming back to the club?

2. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

try to land someone to come in and give tutorials, etc.

3. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Get some suggestions from the club members. There might be a common idea.....such as night or action photography. A suggestion from me, might be the legal aspects of photography (what are your photography rights when it comes to taking photos in public), copyrights, concert photography (how does one get one of these prosumer camera's to photograph a concert? how to obtain photo passes? etc.). Hope this gives your photo club something to work with.

4. 1. shooting in manual mode, understanding aperture, shutter speed and ISO
    2. shooting in aperture priority
    3. shooting in shutter priority
    4. using flash
    5. using off camera lighting
    6. using exposure compensation
    7. using flash compensation.
    8. flash diffusers, soft boxes and umbrellas
    9. shooting outside with fill flash
    10. Macro/Micro photography
    11. double exposures
    12. time lapse photography

5. motomodo

motomodo

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Jersey
    What kind of school?

6. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

Buy a box of Holgas or the like ($20 toy cameras that use 120 roll film) Open the box at a meeting and let everyone take four or six exposures. The idea is a photo contest. You can make the rules simple like, you can only walk 30 feet from this room and have the camera for 4 minutes, make one exposure and then yo have to give the camera to the next person. Publish the rules in advance and maybe have meetings and lectures that lead up to the big event. Give people time to think. Load with black and white film or tansparency film

The idea here is so you don't just do the same old thing, push them a little out of the comfort zone.

Rather then going to some exotic place to shoot. Try a Food Shoot. You must shoot a plate with food on it, indoors. Have an "expert" tell everyone how then off they go. Maybe combine the shoot with dinner -- eat wht you shoot. Every one orders take out or have it delivered to the meeting.

People would prefer to "do photography" then to just talk about it at meetings. May talk about it as they do it. Bring camera and swap them. Bring lighting equipment and reflectors and shoot studio style shots of each other....

Shoot and process some black and white film then put it on a scanner. You can do this in 30 minutes

Let people try out some vintage equipment

7. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    you need to think of a way to make it interesting for the members regardless of their level or skill. You want everyone to be involved in some way so they all feel like they are contributing. When I was in a club one of the more popular meetings involved the members bringing in some of their gear so other members could see, feel, touch and ask questions. Tripods, filters, other cameras, lenses etc. Kudos to you, good luck, I hope it works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.