Starting new pc build; i7-950, ASUS P6TD Deluxe

A BLCK of 150 should be fine, but watch your temps. If you notice any system instability, you should back down.

If you're planning to overclock with your new rig, it is very important that you go with a good CPU cooler AND a good case with good fans.
i'm building a rig soon my case has 8 fans lol

what cooler to support 4GZ? with out going to water cooling

i7 920

I seen a post about people doing it but they never said waht cooler it was..... just that it was air. if its not posible that fine just figured you would know :p
It's definitely possible. It may or may not be stable though. Every chip is different :biggrin:

it'd probably be easier with one of the other i7's. I think they may be phasing hte 920 out soon?

This link may help you out.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Overclocking-Intels-Core-i7-920-Processor/?page=4

However, OCC (overclocking club) didn't get their 920 stable enough to benchmark at 4ghz. But they make no mention of a 3rd party cooler.. maybe they're using the stock cooler? :x

i'm building a rig soon my case has 8 fans lol

what cooler to support 4GZ? with out going to water cooling
I'm running at 3.8GHz using a Noctura cooler like the one in George's photo. I haven't put much effort into going higher but I will eventually. 3.8GHz was no problem at all. Good air movement in the case is very important too. I have 3 exhaust fans on the rear and 3 intake fans, including a 220mm fan on the side of the case to help keep the ambient temp down.

Beside the Noctura cooler theYipster also mentions a couple coolers in one of his later posts. Search some of the overclocking forums for more info.

It's definitely possible. It may or may not be stable though. Every chip is different :biggrin:

it'd probably be easier with one of the other i7's. I think they may be phasing hte 920 out soon?

This link may help you out.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Overclocking-Intels-Core-i7-920-Processor/?page=4

However, OCC (overclocking club) didn't get their 920 stable enough to benchmark at 4ghz. But they make no mention of a 3rd party cooler.. maybe they're using the stock cooler? :x
I'm running at 3.8GHz using a Noctura cooler like the one in George's photo. I haven't put much effort into going higher but I will eventually. 3.8GHz was no problem at all. Good air movement in the case is very important too. I have 3 exhaust fans on the rear and 3 intake fans, including a 220mm fan on the side of the case to help keep the ambient temp down.

Beside the Noctura cooler theYipster also mentions a couple coolers in one of his later posts. Search some of the overclocking forums for more info.
thanks for the info....

if they are discoing the 920 I better get one fast

is that why the price jumped $100 this week?

P6T v. P6T Deluxe

What am I missing?

The P6T has onboard controllers for 8 HDD v. 6 on the P6T Deluxe. It also seems like it would handle multiple SLI cards better (not that I'll be using multiple cards myself) with it's x16, x16, x4 PCIe configuration. There are differences in some of the support chips between the two boards and the Deluxe MB has 2 network ports but these last two things seem really minor to me.

I'm curious. Why are so many people choosing the higher cost P6T Deluxe over the P6T?

What am I missing?

The P6T has onboard controllers for 8 HDD v. 6 on the P6T Deluxe. It also seems like it would handle multiple SLI cards better (not that I'll be using multiple cards myself) with it's x16, x16, x4 PCIe configuration. There are differences in some of the support chips between the two boards and the Deluxe MB has 2 network ports but these last two things seem really minor to me.

I'm curious. Why are so many people choosing the higher cost P6T Deluxe over the P6T?
well a lot of the I7 boards have NO IDE..... so you need space for the cd/DVD/blu-ray SATA drives also :wink::wink::wink:

thanks for the info....

if they are discoing the 920 I better get one fast

is that why the price jumped $100 this week?
If they do discontinue it they will put something else in the lineup at a similar price. The 945 and 965 were discontinued recently and immeadiately replaced with the 950 and 975. The prices didn't change.

If you live near a MicroCenter store they're selling the 920 (latest D0 stepping) for $200, one to a customer. You can order on-line but you have to pick it up in the store. They've had them at this price for about 2 months now.

well a lot of the I7 boards have NO IDE..... so you need space for the cd/DVD/blu-ray SATA drives also :wink::wink::wink:
Both the P6T and P6T Deluxe have a controller for 2 EIDE drives, 2 floppy drives, and eSata, as well as the 8 or 6 SATA drives. I am curious about these 2 motherboards in particular because they get mentioned here alot.

Both the P6T and P6T Deluxe have a controller for 2 EIDE drives, 2 floppy drives, and eSata, as well as the 8 or 6 SATA drives. I am curious about these 2 motherboards in particular because they get mentioned here a lot.
well I my case can not fit 8 hard drives unless i mount them in the CD slots lol

i'm not sure what the big deal it, how really uses 2 network ports at home? lol

the AS rock board has good reviews and its $150

FYI - In the future when you want to upgrade memory again make sure that you look at the timings of the memory. Patriot is a reputable company but 9-9-9-24 for 1333 is super slow. A lot of people don't realize how much of an impact timings have on memory performance.

I'm not trying to trash your system at all so please don't take it that way. I'm pretty sure that you could get those timings down to at least 8-8-8-18. Try it on your asus board and I can guarantee that you'll see performance increases when using memory intensive programs like photoshop. Just make sure that you manually set your memory voltage because if it's set to auto it will usually undervolt it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom