Starting to get the hang of the fisheye

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by BostonRott, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Of all the lenses I've purchased over the past year+, none have been so difficult to "learn" as the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye. Certainly, it was not what I expected and you do have to work (read: bend over!) to get the effect most times .... not always, but often. I played with it at the beach today and finally am feeling more comfortable with it. :smile:

Didn't quite get my own feet outta this one, and then during PP, noticed the feet of a passer-by in the upper left. Sigh.....definitely a learning curve! :redface:

Waves breaking over a few larger rocks
    View attachment 104783

Log on the beach
    View attachment 104784
  2. Nice pics...
    next time you'll get it without feet,
    but wasn't it fun seeing the beach from this new perspective?

I don't have a beach to see so I enjoyed these, feet and all :)

I too am learning my fisheye...and the exciting way of looking at something we may see everyday.

Where are these taken, if I may ask?
    I have gone to the emerald green beaches of the panhandle of Florida,
    and they don't have rocks...
  3. It's on a beach in Scituate, MA called 4th cliff. It's an Armed forces recreation area, and as we have friends who are retired, we attend as guests. Other parts of the beach are quite sandy, but yesterday, we set up on the rocks (in hopes of having chosen a good fishing spot). :smile:
  4. Hi, I agree, probably I get the most curious looks when I'm using the 10.5, because I'm forever crawling on things and getting so close to objects that people think I'm weird :)
  5. davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Gretchen, Glad to see you are having fun with it.

It's great for events as well:
  6. Oh, very cool David!! :smile:
  7. JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice Gretchen, I really like the second shot. Putting the horizon in the upper portion of the frame gives it that "top of the world" look, and the larger rocks and crashing wave give you an interesting center of interest. The third shot with the log doesn't quite work for me, maybe if you had gotten a bit closer to the log or shot it from an different angle.

Composing with a fisheye is pretty difficult, at least for me. I can count on one hand the number of true "keepers" I've gotten with mine. But sometimes it can provide a really unique and intersting view on a subject. I just need to make more effort to use mine more often (I never even though to mount it on the camera on my last trip, maybe that's part of why I get so few keepers with it).
  8. Nice set Gretchen. A very interesting look at the beach.
  9. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    I like these shots a lot, I am just getting to grips with my Sigma 15 mm fisheye which doesn't quite have the amount of barrel distortion of your 10mm, very addictive all the same!!!
  10. Thank you for your comments Jeff, I appreciate them! :smile: I don't think I'll be back there soon, but will keep the suggestion in mind for my next trial with this lens.

I agree, glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! :smile:

Thanks Phil! I'm looking forward to trying this out in Canada atop the mountains! :smile:

Thank you for the kind words. I know I just need to keep practicing with this to get a better feel for it. :smile:
  11. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Boy, that first shot is a winner to my eye! Perhaps you could crop out the feet if they bother you, but the roundness of the photo is GREAT!
  12. Thank you Chris! :smile:

I literally just bent over and shot straight down at the ground. Dad suggested I clone out the feet.......I don't think I'm good enough with Elements to not make it obvious, but I'm going to give it a shot. :smile:
  13. Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Nice shots Gretchen, I just got the 10.5. Looks like it is going to be fun.
  14. davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    The two feet (your feet I assume) on the bottom are easy with the clone stamp. Say at 50-75% and very soft.

The thing to remember is that unless you plan on printing VERY LARGE, the little details like patching out the toes will very often just not be noticed. The angles and shapes in this picture especially are just too varied. The legs in the upper side are alittle harder as the tones change, but again they are not main subject and often overlooked. I've done group pictures and taken cars out from beside the group and no one has ever noticed, no one is looking there. The same would probably be true in this picture.

If you'll forgive me Gretchen.

15. Wow David, thanks!!!! :smile:

I will work on this tonight!