Starving Artist

Discussion in 'People' started by frede, Jul 4, 2007.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I did a shoot with a local songwriter. He needed some images for his website and upcoming CD. The pay was not much more than a nice dinner for my wife and I. Having nurtured my own dream of stardom, I didn't mind helping him out. Shot on my old stomping grounds the Princeton University campus. Here's two from the shoot. It sure is hard to get nice lens flare when you want it...

All comments welcome.

711857445_7c8a64281a_o.

View attachment 104026

2. It's good to help people when they really need it Fred.

I like them both, but especially #1. A lot of the pictures you have done lately have been done at Princeton. Looks like they have plenty of good scenery.

3. I really like the B&W..........the first one. I bet he does also. Really nice of you to help him.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wow I love the first one.

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    The second one looks particularly good Fred. He kind of resembles Paul Simon in that shot!:smile:

I'm not diggin' #1. Not anything you did wrong, but the gathering of his jeans around his boots makes him look short (or emphasizes that he actually is a bit short)...even your low vantage point doesn't offset this. Also.... the guitar case looks too new.......and it's plastic. A battered tolex case with a few stickers would have worked better IMO.

For future reference most guitar shops have old, homeless cases that they'll give away to anyone that will get them out of the storage room.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  6. Looking good Fred!! I love #1, I think adding a vignette would help it a little. It's not actually lens flare, but it's a nice little effect that's easy to do. #2 is a very nice shot also! Great job, I'm sure he'll be happy with these.

7. I like the tonal range in your b&W image, nice shot. As to the second one I wanted to see what it would look like in b&w so I played around with it a little, hope you don't mind. I converted it to b&W using a high contrast filter.

original.

I like your colored version just as well. Oh well I satisfied my curiosity.

8. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Roy - the PU campus and the town are chock full of great places to shoot - takes about 8 hrs to cover it all.

Thanks Chris - I just got a nice e-mail from him - he really likes the images.

Thanks Seneca.

Thanks for your input Stuart. Great observation, as Mike is actually very short at 5'4". However, he is a great guy, so I was happy to shoot him for next to nothing, and I'll never pay a cover for his gigs again. :smile: I had not thought of the case, but you make a great point - that sucker is BOOORING. So true, way back when I remember cleaning out a storage room full on the darn things - like rabbits....

Thanks Keith. Hmm... maybe I'll try a vignette on 1. Sorry I did not explain, but I was TRYING for lens flare on the 2nd shot and it took like 20 shots to get it. Of course when you don't want it...

Thanks Gordon. I also did a B&W yesterday - I opened mine and it looks almost EXACTLY like yours, and I love yours!! Hmm.... maybe I'm starting to finally understand this B&W conversion thing.

9. Hey Fred......... as Stu has already said........... #2...... "And here's to you, Mrs Robinson....." Very cool!

G

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Graeme. It's good to see you back!