State Baseball Finals

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mf44, Jun 13, 2005.

1. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I was down in Toms River covering the state baseball finals. These are just a quick few I grabbed.

The pitching was superb on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But ultimately a poor choice in pitch led to a lead that would ultimately be decisive.

[​IMG]

The winners were excited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the opposing team, while making a surprising run to the finals, was still understandably upset with the loss.

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice series of images Mike. I'm interested to know what lens you were using for the first and second images. The second image is my favorite. It can be tough shooting behind the backstop because many fields have mesh on the fence so the pitcher doesn't get distracted by spectators.

3. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    The first two were with the 70-200mm 2.8 VR. For the 2nd image I pushed the lens hood right against the fencing and opened it up to 2.8. I'm used to shooting through netting, but the fence was a new experiment and it was nice to see something came out. If they've got that thicker black or green mesh, though, you can't do much. Usually I've lucked out, though, and got netting and in this case, a fence.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info Mike. You did a nice job capturing the game. Your images are tack sharp and tell a great story. Great job.