Critique State Theater

This venue in Falls Church, Virginia (where I live) opened in 1935 as a movie theatre and operated continuously until 1988. It reopened in 1999 and has operated since then as a venue for live bands, stand-up comedians and private events. I'm glad the original art deco exterior and the signage made of letters that are attached by a guy standing on a ladder were preserved. I've never been inside it but Wikipedia says that a lot of the interior was also preserved.

It would be fun to photograph it at dusk with the exterior lights turned on but it has been years and years since I've seen all of them working. So, I finally got around to photographing it today during the afternoon before the hodgepodge lighting was turned on.

Mike 2018-05-26--005-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Beautifully processed, Mike!
It enhances the period feel of the building.

Would it be an idea to crop out the bright white area on the right?

Thanks, Bart!

Would it be an idea to crop out the bright white area on the right?

I did that originally but added it back in to balance the white area on the left side. There is an entire area on the right side beyond the frame that matches the corresponding white area on the left side. That was in my capture but including it de-emphasized the sign, which I wanted to be the primary subject.

Perhaps there are better compositions of this theatre using a completely different approach. I live only ten minutes away from it, so I might revisit it.

A familiar sight, indeed! (I live in Falls Church, too -- not within the defined municipal city limits, but outside, in the "greater Falls Church area".) I do think it could be interesting to capture the lighting in color at night, even if it is erratic and some bulbs don't ignite) .... Some years ago when working at the local library and returning home when it closed and darkness had fallen, I would see the theatre signs lit up and think what an interesting photographic subject it could make..... Glad you have taken this on as a challenge, Mike!

Latest threads

Top Bottom