Steely Dan concert in Chicago

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by kgilby, Aug 17, 2008.

1. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    They played the Chicago Theater Saturday night to a full house, for just over 2 hours. These were shot with the 70-200VR and D300. We were in the upper balcony, so even @ 200mm it was a stretch. I had trouble with exposure, as I overexposed highlights pretty badly. A few came out OK, but next time I need to remember to dial it way down to compensate for all the dark background or use spot metering.

Here's a few:

101790500.jpg

101790462.jpg

101790425.jpg

The rest are here:
    http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/steely_dan&page=all

It was a great concert. C&C please.

2. I'm not a fan of the band .... but I like your photos, especially #3.

Regards,

3. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    One of my favorite bands.

How did you get the camera in??

4. pretty cool, I wish I could sneak my camera in to some shows...

5. I find spot metering is the way to go at most concerts. I love SD - on my list of bands to see before I die. Great shots!

6. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    I have been fortunate to see them at the Tweeter Ctr just a few miles from here at at Skullers Jazz Club in Cambridge MA. Neither place is camera friendly, although I went to Dave Koz concert at Skullers and left my camera home. I was the only one....I was ging to try and get my camera into the Billy Joel concert at Mohegan Sun...forget about that....first time I was actually frisked and asked to even remove my hat.

7. Really? I got mine into Jones Beach x2 and MSG last week and not so much as a glance. I stood in full view at the Police's final concert at MSG in the aisle and shot away. I couldn't believe how lax security was especially since it was being filmed for a PBS special. Go figure.

8. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    At the Billy Joel concert the only thing missing was a strip search. I've come to the point after paying today's ticket prices I don't need to get booted out or have my equipment taken and held until I leave..like it would all be there...yeah..right!

9. Yowzer Ray. Were they offering prostate exams at no extra cost?

10. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    prostate exams were free. Colonoscopies were an extra charge..LOL

11. One of my top 5 bands of all times they put on a great show, I am suprised they let you bring in a camera

12. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Funny story...

We saw them for the 1st time last year, in Chicago's Auditorium Theater. I called before that show and was told 'No camera's of any kind'. There were people all over with cameras, so I figured I'd give it a shot this time.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  13. awesome! what a great band.

14. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Flash Light Cops on full alert

Great band, greater city! I miss Chicago and can't wait to move back. Incredible shots! Especially with the low light.

15. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks. They have been a favorite of mine since the 70's, and they still sound great.

16. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks, it was the first time using that lens. A bit overexposed, but a few looked OK.

17. I am a big fan of Steely Dan. I hope I can see them life one day.
    Thanks for posting the images.

Cheers

18. Great pictures i like them very much so as i like the band.I listen to band since they started.

19. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Harry,
    I'm sure you would not be disappointed, they do a great show.
    Ken

20. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Arthur. They are a great band. I hope they keep touring.