steve mccurry exhibit at balboa park in san diego

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fks, Jun 2, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i'm on vacation in san diego and checked out the museum of photographic arts (www.mopa.org) in balboa park. there's an exhibit of some of steve mccurry's photos (he's the guy who did the national geographic photo of the afghan girl among other memorable photos). great photos with highly saturated colors. they're not perfect (stick your nose up to them and you'll notice they're not 100% sharp) but that doesn't detract from the impact of some of the images. it just serves to remind me that the never-ending debate about whether one digital camera or the other is sharper or has more resolution is pointless if your images don't convey a message or have any impact whatsoever on the viewer.

regarding the afghan girl photo, there's a large print in the exhibit. if you thought the national geographic cover was something, wait until you see it in larger than life size. there's also a print of the photo he took recently of the same subject holding the earlier print. i noticed that the large print on the wall had a darker background than the copy she was holding in the more recent photo.

if anyone's in san diego and hasn't had the chance to view the exhibit, i highly recommend that you go check it out. mccurry shoots with nikons, even more incentive to go 8)

ricky