Steve Perry & Covid- What happened - Post #29

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Latest update from Rose.....Today March 7

"I wanted to give you an update on Steve. He is still in the ICU, however they have taken him off of the high flow oxygen and on to the regular oxygen flow. We are still not sure when he will be out of the hospital. With what the doctor has told us we still have a long way to go with recovery once I finally do get him home. We both wanted to say THANK YOU for all your thoughts and prayers. ~ Steve and Rose "

Here is a link to some of his images. Enjoy!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Thank you Karen for the update. Still a long way to go but glad to learn that he is improving.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
from Steve:

"As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one of your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

So, here's what happened.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book). "

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Karen, thanks for posting Steve's update.

This is absolutely terrifying. He's a healthy guy and it took him down hard. I'm so relieved he's out of the woods and recovering, despite having a long way to go.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
As we said repeatedly, it is not something simple. It can knock you out quickly, kill you, and given you long term disabilities. He's a lucky guy.

So please stay vigilant, and get vaccinated.

Real Name
Dan
It's amazing how differently this virus affects people. As Steve said he has a history of being hit hard by lung ailments so maybe not so surprising that it hit him hard. But in many cases it seems somewhat random how badly otherwise healthy people are hit. On the other hand many people with risk factors aren't hit badly at all. Hopefully some day researchers will figure a common factor shared by people who have suffered badly from it. In the mean time thank goodness the vaccine seems to be having a positive impact as hoped/expected.

I was very worried to hear about Steve having covid, so happy to hear he is now doing better. He's a great teacher, massive inspiration and an all round great guy. He has many, many followers here in the UK whom I'm sure will all be thinking of him and wishing him the very best. Take care Buddy. Tony. PS I should have said Thank you Butlerkid (Karen) for the info and update it's much appreciated.

Last edited:
from Steve:

"As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one of your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

So, here's what happened.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book). "
Thank you very much for the info and update, it's really appreciated. Tony.

Latest threads

Top Bottom