Steve Perry D850 Review

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Baywing, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
  2. I quickly looked at his blog under the video - he has suggestions for BIF settings and Focus shift.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great! Obviously watching this is more important than fixing dinner....right? :D

47 minutes long....

I'm 8 minutes into the video...AND....my new D850 just arrived! woooHOOOO!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Cliff notes ?

5. I would much rather read a written transcript than have to sit through a video.

• Like Like x 1
  6. In this case yes. I agree.
    However, I am watching a Tim Grey video at the moment and the video adds a lot as he works on images to illustrate adjustments - clarity for example.

7. Yes, that would be very different. I think Tim Grey is one of the best presenters on the interwebs ;).

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I am half way through Steve's video...and IMHO - being able to watch him do it while listening to him is excellent! You can even pause the video and do what he is doing in order to learn by doing. The video is excellent!

9. I admit that I commented without looking. I didn't realize it is an instructional video.

10. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    If your AF setting for the D4 and D500 are the same (or there about) port those over to the D850. Drive down to Florida and shoot birds for a week, make any fine tune adjustments you find necessary from you personal experience.

11. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    Thanks for posting the link to the review. I just downloaded the video and will watch it incrementally as time permits. So far the D850 looks really nice. I will definitely pick up a used one. So, which one of you nice folks will be selling me your used and unwanted D850 for $2,000?:D

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Ask me again in 2025, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!

13. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    Will do, I am in no hurry!!!!:cool:

14. When it comes to the practical application of Nikon equipment for wildlife photography, Steve does it best IMO.

15. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    My take way.......prepare to UP YOUR GAME to get what this camera has to offer.................

• Like Like x 2
  16. Very true...but the D850 makes it easier to do so! I love the silent shooting, zero vibration mode. That, along with the incredibly precise focusing tools, makes it far easier for me to capture more keepers than ever before.

Glenn

17. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Spoken like a true architectural/landscape photographer. For the wildlife photographer, not such an easy answer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. True...when shooting wildlife (moving wildlife!) chances are it will require a bit faster shutter speeds.

Glenn

19. Well, the D850 isn’t any harder to get sharp images of fast moving wildlife than the D500, but then the large majority of BIF shots from the D500 posted on the various forums are not that sharp. Personally I find both cameras challenging to get the best out of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Steve Perry made a point that the D850 really reveals any weaknesses in technique or vibration or movement. Hence my comment in post #15 above. Most photographers will benefit from improving their skills when using the D850. For moving wildlife/birds he recommends 1/3200 or even 1/4000. In Kenya, I pegged even the D5 on 1/3200 unless I had a fairly stationary subject.