Sticky mirror - Nikon D300

I discovered yesterday during some landscape shootout with my old D300 that the mirror occasionally sticks but goes down after the next shutter release (sometimes the second). I was using my ancient AF-D 80-400mm ED VR zoom. I cleaned the contacts on the body and lens, changed the CF card and used a new battery. The kicker is I have issues with other lenses, but not quite as bad.

This body has over 90,000 firings so its best days are behind her. The camera still works 95% of the time but I wonder why it seems to be more prone with the old lens. I think the diaphragm is fine

Is this behaviour pretty commonplace with old cameras? Seems like the mirror box assembly is wearing out...

Real Name
Dan
Interesting - everything is fine without a lens. Is it a card writing issue?
I have no idea other than it doesn't seem to be mechanical. Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade :) Even a used D7200 would be a giant leap forward. That's the body that put my D300 out of business and I still love it though only use it when I travel.

The mirror sticks up or the shutter stays open? If the mirror sticks it could just be the foam inside getting sticky and needing to be replaced.

Real Name
Andrew
Check the images EXIF and see if it looks like the exposure is weird. It kinda sounds like the mirror is staying up a bit longer because the exposure it is getting is wonky? Could be something on the older lenses is messing with the exposure calculation.

I know on my Df, some legacy lenses always underexposed but 1/2 to 1 full stop sometimes. With newer lenses it didn’t.
Never tried to figure it out, just made the adjustment accordingly.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom