Still any 18-70mm fans out there?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by nykonian, Jun 20, 2007.

1. nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    I've seen people going crazy about the 18-200 VR and primes lately, so I am wonderfing if there's any 18-70mm fans around. :)
  2. davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    The 18-70 is still one of the best kit lenses or lenses at the price of the 18-70 made.
  3. I recently picked one up. So far, limited use, but what I've seen, I've liked. :smile:
  4. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

Still love my 18-70 and if I wanna have more mm´s? I don´t go for the 18-200 because thera are many other and much better options.
    18-70 is still a fine tool for low profile photo trips
  5. randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    I got one with my first Nikon DSLR - still have it. Great lens.
  6. Don't have mine anymore, still wish I do - incredible useful and definitely one of the best price/performance kit lenses ever made.
  7. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I had one a while back, and then sold it. I missed the wide end and the quiet focus, so I just traded another lens to get one. Good lens for the price.
  8. Well, I no longer own one, but I'm still a fan. It deserves its reputation as an excellent optic, and I'd still own it if the following weren't all true:

- I already have many ways to get the same focal lengths
    - I have infinite LLD and finite budget; selling it helped finance some other stuff
    - Even my family members have chosen other glass (wife = 18-200VR for the D100, daughter #2 = 50/f1.8 for the FM2n, daughter #1 = ... well, a Canon.)
  9. Its the 28-105 of DX lenses...and that's a compliment!
  10. Sold it since I no longer shoot digital, but still one of my favorite lenses. It gets a far worse reputation than it deserves with everyone adding a "for the price" qualifier to their statements.

If/when I jump back to digital, I'll likely buy another one. Only thing I thought was really annoying was the filter size (I generally prefer lenses with 52mm filters), but otherwise it was a gem; its tradeoffs I didn't mind at all.
  11. nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    I agree with most comments here. It's one of the best bargains (besides the primes) I guess.
  12. So far it's the one I use the most of my limited stable. I like it.
  13. headgear

Apr 6, 2007
    Love mine also. My also limited lens collection includes an 18-70 and an 85mm 1.8. The 18-70 is my lens that is om my camera most of the time and produces very nice images.
  14. SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I'd like something with a little bit more reach and a little bit faster than my 18-55 kit lens, especially at the long end. I'm thinking that the little 18-70 would fit the bill perfectly. If I can find one in great shape used when I get access to the FS forum I might consider picking one up.
  15. headgear

Apr 6, 2007
    They regularly go for around $200 on e-bay.
  16. My wife loves hers.

17. Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    Still use mine and still like mine.
  18. Sold mine to my friend who loves them for weddings. I don't miss it. It is all primes for me right now.
  19. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    It's the perfect companion to an IR converted D70!
  20. I love the 18-70

i think this one of Nikon's best kept secrets - it is a labeled a 'kit' lens, but it is a about as close to pro as you can get without spending the moola - think about it: 3 ED elements, blazing fast AF-S, dust and weather seals, 3.5-4.5 aperature - does that spell c.o.n.s.u.m.e.r -or- s.e.m.i - p.r.o. ?

If you don't think this lens is a capable, just look at this website: