Still finding style :)

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by dakinetx, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I KNOW alot of you probably won't like this, heck am not 101% myself :) 
    But trying to find a "style" in processing Wedding shots is difficult but great fun.

This was a quick "stealth" shot. I wanted to capture the ambiance and crowd whilst showing the joy/fun of the happy couple. I tried to "suggest" the couples mood whilst showing their "audience" to greater effect. Of course, a Midnight shot with crap lighting and harsh flare everywhere made this def. interesting.

Anyway, latest "play" with a Wedding Image.
    Note, this is NOT for couple, just me playing with styles for my own use.

[​IMG]

2. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL

Before even reading your post, I saw the picture an thought WOW. I think your idea of trying "to "suggest" the couples mood whilst showing their "audience" to greater effect" is great.

In my opinion, pictures do not have to even be close to technically correct in order to be a fantastic photo. And this my freind is a fantastic photo. If I were shown this picture as a customer, I would absolutly select it for an album as is.

Morgan

3. Morgan,
    I am very humbled and overjoyed to hear that!
    I have a varied background but none of it is "Traditional" per se.
    There are soooooo many Portrait/Photojournalist Wedding Photogs out there it often becomes a sea of "sameness" lol.
    I do what I do with my tools but am trying to define my "style" when it comes to processing.
    Again, thankyou for not only taking the time to look but also take time to comment! I truly appreciate it!
    Nick

4. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

If this is the definition of your style you'll be very successful. Great shot. Tells a great story.

5. here's one my wife processed (she will be my partner in the Biz, a very accomplished photog but only just playing with PP. She had a studio way back when and used to work at a big photo lab also);

[​IMG]

6. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    I like the first one a lot.

7. you know
    that first one.... I LOVE IT

i really do
    certainly blows the "tired of the same old thing" mantra out the window....
    thanks for the thread and image

that second one isn't bad, either
    happy that your wife will be your partner

8. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Wow!

I bet if you offered something like this to the couple, they may well decide that though all the 'official' wedding shots are really important, they secretly feel that this is the "real shot" of their wedding!

Maybe you have found your style!!!

9. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    The first one is great, the only issue I see is the couple is a bit too out of focus in my opinion.

I love the mood, the lighting, it's fantastic.

10. Thanks Guys.
    Greg, my wife is very supportive and gonna be a great shooting partner. She has a full time job (in medical field as it happens) so dos'nt have the "digital" processing exp. I do (although with film, she blows me away lol).
    As for couple being OOF/Soft, I was going more for atmosphere. I felt the "ambiance" was more important than them for this shot. I could'nt get both due to VERY little light indeed and not wanting to use flash at all.
    I am slowly finding my way but am somewhat having to re-program the way I look at things.
    Photography has so many genre's and so many expectations. I think however that Weddings (to a degree, somewhat discounting the "must have/formal" shots) are way more open in that the genre is now so diverse and there is someone for everyones taste.
    With that said, many (if you want to be successful IMHO) find their own unique way of doing things and stick with it, some may say "going out on a limb/gambling abit" but nether the less producing somthing that someone will LOVE.
    I have done freelance Photojournalism, Event, Modelling etc. but Weddings are proving to be much more difficult for me to be "happy" with due to the exact reason I ADORE photography, the freedom of expression. Funny huh. It's like I have been expected to do things a certain way (although with MY slant) for so long, suddenly having way more "free reign" is alot more difficult to get used to than I anticipated lol.
    Anyway, it's slowly coming all together and surely soon I will have "my style" more or less nailed and THEN we will see what others think by the contracts I gain :) 
    Stay tuned and I will endeavor to bring you along for the ride, the latest chapter to my rather unusual life thus far :)  (If interested, let me know and will explain, suffice to say have been told MANY times to write a book roflmao).
    Nick

11. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    You gotta be kidding...I love this...so cool.

12. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I think it's stunning. If I was the bride in this picture I would love a huge version of this printed.

I think it's essential that we all look at our images with a critical eye - I LOVE getting feedback on how I could improve - but occasionally there are shots that may be theoretically imperfect (soft/OOF/ flare) but they capture such an amazing moment in time with a unique style that I think they have just as much "emotional" value as a perfectly exposed, perfectly composed, somewhat staid shot. Just MHO! And not trying to offend anyone - just wanting to emphasize that I think the couple would LOVE to see this image and agree with previous posters that this shows a TON of style!

13. Thankyou ladies!
    As this is such an "important" venture (as it's a "one off", we hope, big day for the client) I am more than anything trying to define my "processing style".
    The shooting is RIGHT up my alley as I ADORE to "hide" behind a camera and people watch :)  I never have and hope never will be "the norm" in my shooting as I am ME and only I have MY eye.
    But hitting the processing right to not only please me but actually gain clientel/a following is very critical to business.
    Right now I am finalising stuff to launch this new venture, so have the luxury of "playing" with processing to get happy with it. This will then define my style (at least with regards to what I show and therefore market on my website).

14. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I think the only thing wrong with your first picture is the huge disclaimer before it.

That's a very cool shot, and I think the couple would love it!

15. Both shots are great! I do like the PP on the one your wife did very much. The color is awesome.

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    The both shots and PP are really great, certainly not the regular style but very suitable for these type of shots, imo. Bravo

17. #1 would be a GREAT shot if the couple where in Focus.#2 is a neat shot as well.I like what you are doing.Don't be so hung up on finding your style,as you should be thinking ahead,as to what could I do next.Styles come and go but a great shot is a great shot forever.

18. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    I think they're fun and innovative. really cool NIck! How cool to have your wife as a partner!

19. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    I have been looking at picture's at the cafe for about 2 hours and your shot is absolutely the best I have seen today.

I wish you shot my wedding, truly amazing!!!

20. Although I wish the couple were in focus in the first shot I still really like it and think it's great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.