Still have anything from your "original" kit?

Surfing lens lust, the camera forums, and everything else has got me wondering. Does anyone here have anything from early on still in their kit? I'm not sure if my "original" item is strange or not. I started with a D80, upgraded to a used D200, and got "talked" into buying a 70-200 f/2.8 VR1. I bought that lens a LONG time ago, and I still have it today. I have not upgraded to the VR2. I still use it for portraits and consider it my poor mans 200 f/2. Every other lens in my kit has been upgraded to some extent.

I'm sure there are way more experienced people here who have hung on to old manual focus lenses that they just can't let go.

So, what have you held onto from the beginning?

The first lens I bought after my kit lens was the Tokina 12-24. I dont see myself getting rid of it for a long time.
Only lens I would replace it with would be the Nikon 14-24 2.8. But the Tokina is my 1st love lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The first lens I bought after my kit lens was the Tokina 12-24. I dont see myself getting rid of it for a long time.
Only lens I would replace it with would be the Nikon 14-24 2.8. But the Tokina is my 1st love lol.
I had that lens, was worth every cent and then some. Only reason I sold it was I bought the 14-24. I have a great 24"x36" waterfall print that I took with the Tokina (and D200) hanging on my wall.

Sadly, no. My original DSLR kit was a D70s, 18-70, 70-300. I sold the 70-300 very early on in favor of my 70-200 which I still have, and my 18-70 followed a few years later for my 17-55. Since moving to FX, I have gotten rid of everything DX...

I inherited my dad's FE and all the original lenses he had. I have every piece and I still use them. The camera less, but the lenses all the time. My first camera was the d200 and it is still my primary camera.

Sadly, no. My original DSLR kit was a D70s, 18-70, 70-300. I sold the 70-300 very early on in favor of my 70-200 which I still have, and my 18-70 followed a few years later for my 17-55. Since moving to FX, I have gotten rid of everything DX...
Not sadly no. I had the kit lens of 18-135? I think that was it. Anyway, the 70-200 I got was very early on in my photography. Sounds like yours is the same. So you do have an "old piece" laying around :wink:

I inherited my dad's FE and all the original lenses he had. I have every piece and I still use them. The camera less, but the lenses all the time. My first camera was the d200 and it is still my primary camera.
I only upgraded my camera for ISO performance. The 10MP on the D200 gave me some fantastic prints.

Thankfully no, it's all been replaced by far superior equipment! Having said that I did buy some real junk to start with.

I still have and use my 20 2.8 AF that I bought new with my 8008s. I also have my 50 1.4 AF but I do not carry that in my kit now.

Yep, still got mine... :wink:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Look at your photos. I bet some of your best stuff was taken with your "junk".
I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that is not the case, partly because I have absolutely no photographs beyond maybe 10 years ago. I have no nostalgia for cameras or lenses any more than I do my first DeWalt cordless combi drill, beautiful thing though that was - they are just tools to be disposed of when better ones are available.

Still have and use my old original 50/1.4 AIS lens and a few others. Got a bunch of "modern" lenses as well, didn't buy fully into the upgrade bug. Still shooting the 28-70/2.8 as I refuse to upgrade to the 24-70/2.8. That lens is my bread and butter lens and just delivers.

I have my dad's original Canon Ft-b, sigma lens, and no name flash. It was given to me when it was apparent that I was in to using the camera far more than he ever was. No use selling it and if I ever want to go to shooting film, the all manual camera will be a challenge to go back to the basics. There are also a bunch of great used lenses I can get off of KEH really cheap.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom