Still having email issues and Icon changes

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
And Apple still acts like they know nothing about it. I spent 1.5 hours on the phone today with 3 levels of support guys, and still got no answer on the boomerang emails. They're sending it to an engineer and they'll call me in a couple of days.

And those darn application icons keep changing! Totally random switching of the icons for various apps. The names are always correct, but the icons just change to the same as other apps. Can't wait until I talk to Apple about that one. :rolleyes:

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
The positions change, or the actual icons themselves?

The icons change into icons from other apps. Here is a photo to illustrate, from my game page. The bottom three apps all have the wrong icon. The apps still work fine, but it's a bear trying to find apps when you are looking for the icon. This happens all over the phone, seemingly at random, and deleting and reloading the apps sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Even if it does, other apps spontaneously change icons. There are ALWAYS incorrect icons on the phone somewhere.

604191382_fVPZP-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oh -- on your iPhone. I had assumed you meant on a Mac.

Looks like this is a known issue with the 3.0 software. How annoying. I'd be going crazy too.

Here is the work around people are using (which seems to work only until you reboot your phone):

1. Connect your iPhone to iTunes.
2. Sync your phone to backup any new apps you may have downloaded
3. Click on the iphone icon, then the “Applications” tab at the top
4. Uncheck “Sync Applications” then hit apply. (this will erase the apps from your phone)
5. Once the sync is complete, RE-check “Sync Applications” and hit apply to restore your apps to the phone
6. Your icons should now be restored to normal.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for the link, Steve. Yeah, that's a very temporary workaround. I've even done a complete restore of my phone and the weird icon problem came back. Apple Tech support doesn't seem to know about any official solutions to this or the boomerang email problem. At least, not the half dozen people I've talked to. At least I've been able to contact them and have it elevated to the higher levels of support so they can look at it.

Oh -- on your iPhone. I had assumed you meant on a Mac.

Looks like this is a known issue with the 3.0 software. How annoying. I'd be going crazy too.

Here is the work around people are using (which seems to work only until you reboot your phone):

1. Connect your iPhone to iTunes.
2. Sync your phone to backup any new apps you may have downloaded
3. Click on the iphone icon, then the “Applications” tab at the top
4. Uncheck “Sync Applications” then hit apply. (this will erase the apps from your phone)
5. Once the sync is complete, RE-check “Sync Applications” and hit apply to restore your apps to the phone
6. Your icons should now be restored to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like this bug is getting a lot of play in the Apple support forums, so hopefully Apple will take notice soon. You need TUAW or Macrumors to pick it up, then it would get some quick action.

Just wondering -- if you search for an app with the wrong icon, does the search come up with right app? I would guess so. Maybe that's a better "work around" than reinstalling everything.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Looks like this bug is getting a lot of play in the Apple support forums, so hopefully Apple will take notice soon. You need TUAW or Macrumors to pick it up, then it would get some quick action.

Just wondering -- if you search for an app with the wrong icon, does the search come up with right app? I would guess so. Maybe that's a better "work around" than reinstalling everything.

You're gonna love this. Not only did it find the correct app., it also showed it in the search results with the correct icon! :rolleyes: Go figure! LOL!

Classic. I love it. Well, that's a better work around than the other one.

You would think that a smart Apple tech could debug this just from this fact alone.

Anyway, good luck!

Latest threads

Top Bottom