Still having problems with 80-200 2.8 D Tripod collar

Original post here.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=302403

Purchased the 1/4-20 reducer from B & H hoping to solve my problem securing my monopod to base of camera lens. Didn't work. The reducer it too big to screw into the existing hole on camera lens mounting collar. Not sure what I need? A helicoil does not work as the hole in lens mount is a coarse tread. The helicoils that I saw do not appear to be.
NIKON has responded that I need to send the lens in for Professional Services ($$$)
I was hoping to just remove the collar from the lens, but loosening the twist down on the side of the collar just allows me to rotate it, not remove it. NIKON also suggested I did not remove it and send it the whole lens.

I guess I could go this route??

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Collar_for_80-200mm_f2.8_AFS.html

BUT, I need to get the Nikon collar off the lens. When loosening the turn knob on the collar, all it appears to do is rotate the collar, not remove it?? I could use my Giottos ball head which would give me better support with this lens when mounted on my monopod, IF I can get the original Tripod collar off the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 99% sure that all you need is a new Helicoil insert, they come in a wide variety of thread pitch. 99% of all camera acc are 14/20 thread pitch.
Find a local automotive machine shop, all they would have to do is thread in a new helicoil. This should be cheaper than buying the kit for a one time repair

I am 99% sure that all you need is a new Helicoil insert, they come in a wide variety of thread pitch. 99% of all camera acc are 14/20 thread pitch.
Find a local automotive machine shop, all they would have to do is thread in a new helicoil. This should be cheaper than buying the kit for a one time repair

I agree. The machine shop may have to drill the hole in the foot to the correct size for the Helicoil insert, but it should only take a few minutes. The foot may not come off the lens, but it could still be drilled while on the lens.

I agree. The machine shop may have to drill the hole in the foot to the correct size for the Helicoil insert, but it should only take a few minutes. The foot may not come off the lens, but it could still be drilled while on the lens.

No, they should not have to drill. It had a helicoil in it before, just need the insert new helicoil in existing thread.

That collar will come off, just need to know the secret. I had a 80-200 afs and now have a 70-200 vr , never used the D version before.

By the looks of it in the photos, it probably comes off the back and needs to be clocked 90 or 180 deg to find the notch. Maybe pull the set screw out. Just a couple suggestions, someone more familiar with that lens will more than likely chime in.

Looking at the Kirk replacement, it is hinged, so a screw/knob has to be removed to allow the collar to hinge.

The Kirk collar is for the AF-S 80-200, not the screw-drive 80-200 D. As far as I know, there isn't any way to take the collar off of the D lens.

I'd just send it into Nikon.

None of the Helicoils I saw would thread into the foot. The threads did not match up. If they drill to enlarge the existing hole, how does the helicoil stay in place?

None of the Helicoils I saw would thread into the foot. The threads did not match up. If they drill to enlarge the existing hole, how does the helicoil stay in place?

Do you have any experience installing helicoils?
They appear to large when they are not installed, it requires a special installation tool.
Once again, something came out of that hole, and all the nikon lens feet I have ever seen, including the three I have personally owned have helicoils for the 1/4 20 thread.

Real Name
Mike
The 1/4-20 Helicoil is a coarse thread and the outside diameter is just over 5/16 inch (as I recall), which is smaller than the 3/8-16 bushing you bought from B&H. The Helicoil kit comes with the special tap, insertion tool, and a set of coil inserts of different lengths. If the installation is new, you will require a size H drill (about 17/64) to enlarge the hole for the tap.

I think the shortest insert for the 1/4-20 kit is 1/4-inch, so if the foot is not at least this thick, part of the coil will extend beyond the foot, which might not be desirable. It's possible that Nikon uses a custom insert that is shorter than the standard Helicoil.

I think the shortest insert for the 1/4-20 kit is 1/4-inch, so if the foot is not at least this thick, part of the coil will extend beyond the foot, which might not be desirable. It's possible that Nikon uses a custom insert that is shorter than the standard Helicoil.

You can pre cut (with a pair of good cutters) the insert to length prior to installation.

The heli-coil insert has a bar across the opening (it is actually and extension of the screw that has been bent across the hole). The insertion tool has a rod with a slot that slips thru the hole in the insert and the bar slips in the cross slot cut in the insertion tool. The insert is then screwed into the other part of the insertion tool which squeezes the insert down. When the insert starts out the end you insert it into the hole in the foot. Screw it in as far as you need then twist the insertion rod backward and it breaks off the tail of the insert locking it in place. If the insert is in place take a small thin cutoff disc on a flex shaft grinder and grind it off. Very simple operaton actually I have done many,many of them with excellant results.

Do you have any experience installing helicoils?
They appear to large when they are not installed, it requires a special installation tool.
Once again, something came out of that hole, and all the nikon lens feet I have ever seen, including the three I have personally owned have helicoils for the 1/4 20 thread.

No, I have not. Truthfully, never heard of them before this situation. But, I do have a buddy that owns a garage and is familiar with them.
Were the holes in your lens feet threaded to begin with? In other words, you had to do nothing to the existing hole to accept the helicoil??

No, I have not. Truthfully, never heard of them before this situation. But, I do have a buddy that owns a garage and is familiar with them.
Were the holes in your lens feet threaded to begin with? In other words, you had to do nothing to the existing hole to accept the helicoil??

they come from nikon already with a heel oil installed
that's thin of a piece of aluminum is not strong enough on its own it needs strength of the hill a coil to prevent stripping
unfortunately for you you have the rare occasion of the hill oil coming out instead of stripping the bare aluminum threats

Why not epoxy an RRS plate to the tripod mount. This will allow you to mount it to an Arca Swiss clamp or a 1/4" tripod mount screw. Make sure you rough up both mating surfaces to bare metal and use a metal friendly epoxy like J B Weld. Also screw the RRS plate into the existing damaged hole using epoxy in the hole.

Before applying the epoxy, cover and mask all surfaces where you don't want epoxy with tape and wax paper. After the epoxy cures (24 - 48 hours) the RRS plate will be part of the tripod mount.

Latest threads

Top Bottom