Still Life and Product Shot Gallery?

I keep thinking that there should be a macro/still life and product shots gallery in addition to the ones we have. Anybody else feel this way?

I would love it, if for nothing else, to browse and learn about different methods of lighting, and places to get some of the background and bottom ground materials. We could have stickies for DIY lightboxes, and all other sorts of things! Love the idea!

We do have a Macro gallery currently. I know that it is used mostly for insects and flowers but when it was set up initially it was meant for any type of macro shot. Generally when a gallery is set up it is because of a need that has been demonstrated and so far I just don't see macro supporting its own gallery. Just my thoughts (not trying to throw cold water on the subject).

Real Name
Mike
Gordon is correct. We receive requests for specific galleries, yet the membership participation in test threads fails to support the request.

The most recent request, was for a mobile phone image gallery. The test thread, Post Your Mobile Phone Images!!!, started off good and continued for five days before the posts dwindled to nothing, with the 33rd post made last month. The 60 images in that thread to date do not justify creating a new gallery.

We will consider all requests to improve the NikonCafe to meet the needs of the membership, but we need the membership participation in order to justify the effort. Geoff recommended starting a poll to determine interest. I recommend also starting a test thread in the Miscellany gallery so we can determine the membership participation.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPS

I beleive that "products shots" is a specialized enough subject to be worth a gallery on it's own !

The kind of lighting, building and using backgrounds, use of DOF and techniques to increase the apparent DOF-, etc... makes this subject entirely different from architecture, macro, portrait, etc... shooting !

Just my 2 cents !

:smile:
J-P.

Real Name
Mike
I beleive that "products shots" is a specialized enough subject to be worth a gallery on it's own !

The kind of lighting, building and using backgrounds, use of DOF and techniques to increase the apparent DOF-, etc... makes this subject entirely different from architecture, macro, portrait, etc... shooting !

Just my 2 cents !

:smile:
J-P.
You make a valid point; however, the demonstrated and sustained interest in the subject will help determine if we create a dedicated gallery.

You make a valid point; however, the demonstrated and sustained interest in the subject will help determine if we create a dedicated gallery.

I'm puzzled. How does one "demonstrate and maintain interest" if there is no logical gallery to put things in. I can't speak for others, but I am adverse to putting things in a gallery where the don't really seem to fit.

I suggest macro and product shots together because many macro shots (once you get beyond insects and flowers) are carefully staged and lighted "artiste" shots, as are, in a more commercial sense, product shots. Still lifes and Abstracts are the same, but for artistic pleasure. I wouldn't exclude macros from flowers and insects, I'd just include macros as well with product shots and still lifes. To me, the thing that unites all of these are that they are planned, purposeful shots that often (usually) require staging and lighting.

So far we've had twelve votes in support and nobody who says we have adequate venues elsewhere. To me that suggests at least a trial gallery. I don't think a thread is the same as a gallery. Can't a gallery be dropped if it doesn't pan out? And if such a gallery is tried, it needs to be "advertised" via stickies in several related (if not all) galleries for some period of time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom