Still life

Real Name
Jeff Holdgate
Z6 & lots of Photoshop. Supposed to echo Dutch still life school.
_DSC9278-Edit-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nicely done.
Overall processing looks old school with a nice feel.
Did you add the grain?- a little overwhelming to my eye. It may be exactly what you want.
Several what look like dust spots?
The white reflections on the bottle are distracting. This round stuff is hard to light, I can't do it.
Tabletop stuff can usually always be done at base iso, nothing moving so you don't care about shutterspeed.
gary

Real Name
Jeff Holdgate
Nicely done.
Overall processing looks old school with a nice feel.
Did you add the grain?- a little overwhelming to my eye. It may be exactly what you want.
Several what look like dust spots?
The white reflections on the bottle are distracting. This round stuff is hard to light, I can't do it.
Tabletop stuff can usually always be done at base iso, nothing moving so you don't care about shutterspeed.
gary
Thanks, that’s helpful.

Definitely a noticeable nod to the Dutch still lifes. I like lots of the details in your image, especially the very soft shadows.

There are two ways to eliminate the reflection of the light source(s) on highly reflective surfaces such as the pitcher. Usually the easiest and fastest way is to position the lights so the reflections are in an area that makes it easy to remove them by cloning during post-processing. The other way that will always work is to position a black sheet of material that is neither too large nor too small between the light source and the subject so the light doesn't directly fall on the part of the subject that would otherwise reflect the light source. A third way that is less likely to work but worth trying because it takes so little time to do is to use a polarizer.

If you're seriously interested in making still lifes or doing other types of tabletop photography, I highly recommend that you keep a copy of Light: Science & Magic always within reach. (Gary absolutely knew I would make that recommendation. :D )

Last edited:
I highly recommend that you keep a copy of Light: Science & Magic always within reach. (Gary absolutely knew I would make that recommendation. :D )
I agree- but I absolutely keep a copy within reach, and it doesn't help at all.
But when I actually read and study it, the topic slowly works it way into my dense skull.
And to think I had a minor in physics/optics. Way too long ago.
gary

Real Name
Jeff Holdgate
Definitely a noticeable nod to the Dutch still lifes. I like lots of the details in your image, especially the very soft shadows.

There are two ways to eliminate the reflection of the light source(s) on highly reflective surfaces such as the pitcher. Usually the easiest and fastest way is to position the lights so the reflections are in an area that makes it easy to remove them by cloning during post-processing. The other way that will always work is to position a black sheet of material that is neither too large nor too small between the light source and the subject so the light doesn't directly fall on the part of the subject that would otherwise reflect the light source. A third way that is less likely to work but worth trying because it takes so little time to do is to use a polarizer.

If you're seriously interested in making still lifes or doing other types of tabletop photography, I highly recommend that you keep a copy of Light: Science & Magic always within reach. (Gary absolutely knew I would make that recommendation. :D )
Thanks Mike, some interesting ideas.

Real Name
Jeff Holdgate
I like the concept and the colors very much. And the pears look delicious. But two of them look like they are fused together in one spot.
Yes so they do! Too much texture!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom