Still Mad!! (Warning contains mild venting)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt S, Dec 18, 2005.

1. So I am driving home on a rural road with no one around and I see several moose in a clearing from a 10 year old forest fire. One of them is happily munching on brush 2 feet off the road. I hit the breaks, grab my camera and look for a place to turn around. Finally succeeding in this I pull out on the road behind a pickup truck that has come along and the (explitive deleted) lady sees the moose and lays on her horn for 20+ seconds. Of course that moose and the others took off running. Mind you the horn was NOT neccicary, she was already 10-15 miles under the speed limit (30-35 in a 45) and it was broad daylight. No one with a brain was going to hit that moose. Sorry to vent, but I have not had a great opportunity for wildlife shots in a while and she really put a damper on my day. Thanks for listening, and yes I will be driving that road in the morning in the hopes of redeeming myself.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Matt,

It always amazes me at the wide range of attitudes that we encounter in our society. Many folks would have slowed down and carefully passed, in wonder at the beautiful wild animals. Others (who seem to consider themselves the center of the universe) react as this lady (??) did with complete disregard for the animal and anyone else in the vicinity.

So sad. :rolleyes:

3. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    I like Flew's question marks after the word lady (remember that we are born men and women, but only qualify as ladies and gentlemen when our actions justify the titles).
    I agree with everything said here, and I am certainly not taking sides, but in all fairness to the other driver she had probably just seen a news report - by a news service that works overtime digging-up mundane tidbits - about the number of deaths that occurred due to moose/vehicle accidents and thought she was being a safe driver.
    Who knows about the motivation? But it was an infurating event for Matt, and a good opportunity lost.
    Note to Matt: I thought you guys in Alaska had all the wildlife in the free World to photograph!
    Better luck next time, dude.
    Robert

4. I surely understand your frustration Matt. Just chalk it off to a mix of mild panic and total ignorance - happens all the time to people confronted with unfamiliar circumstances.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Matt :

I get the same thing time-to-time, but it's not, IMO, done to address the critter, but instead a deliberate effort to spoil the shot for the photographer. I've had this happen when shooting a photo of a crane or a heron by roadside, and there's no damn' way the car's at any risk from the birds. Still, a ten second or longer horn blast ensued.

Sigh. Some people are just jerks.

I hope you have better luck with the next one.

John P.

6. Yikes, I feel for you man.:eek:

7. Thanks everyone. I feel better now. I am sure that my mystery driver was trying to be a safe driver. We have a huge number of moose accidents, however the vast majority of these are at highway speed in the night.

To Cherokee, yes we have a lot of critters running around, but it is winter and most of them hole up. Also most of our wildlife is still wild (easily spooked) and will avoid man if at all possible. For instance I have never seen a wolf in the wild. But they are all over around here, they are sly creatures. In defence of Alaska's reputation I will say that I have been meare feet from bears, dahl sheep, moose, fox, etc. if that makes you feel better.:smile:

8. Matt,

I totally understand what you're feeling. I've had opportunities to get a money shot, only for some dip wad to get in the way of my shot, thinking I'll get them in a magazine or something really stupid like that. People like that really annoy me.