Still photos - Can they be extracted?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Harry Lavo, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Does the D90 allow still photos to be extracted from movie files during playback or during filming? In other words, if I filmed a sequence of a pass settling into the hands of a receiver in the end zone, could I extract a still just at the moment of touch for inclusion in the local newspaper?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  2. I haven't seen that feature, but I haven't looked very hard. I supposed you could always just take a still from video after the fact via the PC.

3. AdamC

AdamC Guest

Harry,

I just tried messing around with pulling some stills from the handful of videos I shot simply by doing screen captures with the Quicktime player paused.
    What I noticed right away is that there is motion blur in any frame with movement, due to the 24FPS capture rate.:frown:
    I don't think this would be ideal for picking 'the moment' from a series of frames of a fast action sports scene.

4. On a side note, 4.5 fps for pictures is still pretty fast. You should be able to get a nice shot from that. :) 

5. sifilm

sifilm Guest

I don't think you can extract a single photo with the expectations of it being anything like a normal photo shot from the camera. The video stream is motion jpg compression, meaning it's storing only the DIFFERENCES from one frame to the next.

6. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Actually, motion jpeg is the exact opposite of what you say it is. Each frame is essentially a jpeg.

Of course, it's still only 1280x720, significantly compressed, and probably with motion blur and other issues like rolling shutter.

7. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    The 24fps capture rate has nothing to do with motion blur. Motion blur is an artifact of shutter speed and subject speed. If you read my D90 movie mode post, you'll see that there is no* way to manually set a high or low shutter speed. However, with a fast shutter, you should eliminate some or all of the motion blur.

*no easy way

8. AdamC

AdamC Guest

Shao,

I stand corrected :smile:. I just read your D-movie summary - great post. I can't wait to try out the technique you describe for 'encouraging' the D90 to use lower ISO's.

9. mdirvin

mdirvin

Jan 30, 2007
    East TN
    Up front I know absolutely nothing about the D90, however I do a lot of video non linear editing. The resolution that you will get from a video frame will be much less than you are use to in still photography. SD will be 640 x 480 interlaced. Someone mentioned that the frame rate was 24, so that would imply HD resolution. Probably something like 1080 x 720 progressive. I have never seen stills made from video frame that was worth anything.

Mike

10. I've got my answer.....

Thanks, all. I gather the answer to my original question is in two parts: 1) NO, and 2) you wouldn't want them if you could! :biggrin:

11. I'm not a troll, but thought that this was interesting and relevant about the impending EOS 5D Mark II:
    Does the D90 work this way? Even if not, the generational development of this feature in successive generations will be rapid, though it still seems like a bit of a gimmicky distraction (though an attractive one for me!), more particularly in a cameras with specs like the 5DMII.

12. The D90 can take a picture while recording, however recording stops once the shutter is pressed. From what I've gathered with the 5D, you can take pictures while recording a movie, however it stops recording the movie while the picture is taken and starts it up again afterwards. So you risk getting some jumps in the movie playback depending on the shutter speed you had when taking a picture during the movie.

13. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

This would have to be done later, in post processing. You can do this with any video stream. But what you will get is "video resolution". Your still image will be 720 pixels tall by 1280 pixels wide for a grand total of 0.9 megapixels. Is that good enough for a news paper? If they print at 150 DPI then that would allow for an image about 4 inches tall and 6 wide after a minor crop. But in any case an extracted video frame will have a fairly narrow color gamete but still likely more color than can be printed in a newspaper.

Yes it would be nice if the D90 could do full resolution images at 24 FPS. If you need that you can buy it but not for $900. Look at this: http://www.red.com/cameras
    The Red camera is basically a DX size SLR that shoots high speed raw. The D90 is not that.

14. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Yes they are motion JPEGs, so you can easily extract them

15. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

seems like a gimick.leads one to believe he/she can shoot a sceen then pick (slr) quality photos.uerrrrr afraind not!

16. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    1280x720 at 24fps is pretty good as it is. on my 17" monitor, i still get the max resolution.

on the other hand, to get smooth fluid video you have to slow down the shutter speed, so each still frame would be motion blurry if you extract them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.