Still playing with lights

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Mitchell, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Finally have my son home from camp. He's a good sport and always willing to help with my photos.

When I took out my new lights, my wife officially declared that photography has become my midlife crisis!:eek:  I told her it was still cheaper than a Ferrari or a girlfriend!:tongue:

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. These were done with two lights (except as noted).

348492752_VVbYB-L.

348493264_yYXvr-L.

348893414_utdbr-XL.

This one with a single light and a reflector. Doesn't seem like my reflector was placed very well, but I like the darkness on the left.
    348893851_3C6Wd-XL.

Samantha took this one. She asked for silly faces!:cool: 

348894935_kbELj-XL.

Still trying to figure out lighting placement and ratios. Fun to play with these now that I have a model who allows for more than 5 shots!

2. mitch,
    you know that i shouldn't be giving anyone advice about these issues
    but...
    2 looks better than 1 (which need more hair-light, i think)
    3 is the best of the first 3
    admittedly, lighter-colored hair lights up better
    #4 is dramatic... you are right that the reflector could have been positioned a bit better

the funny face one that sam captured....
    i mean no offense when i say... it's my favorite... as YOUR head lights up BEST OF ALL

glad the family is re-united
    is stef home yet?

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Mitchell,
    I think that photography is my mid-life crisis, too!! But, it's so much fun when you have grandkids that I can't resist.

It seems to me that you got good coverage with your lights on the first three. I like the drama of the 4th one best. The one Sam took is certainly the most fun. I haven't had my lights out for a while. I guess I better think about using them again, soon.

4. In your 2 light setup, there's little difference in intensity between the two sources, which resulted in flat lighting. Lower one of your strobes by an f/stop or two, and you'll get more of a 3D appearance... which is why you like #4. My fave is #3, because your model is clearly so delighted to see you. What a doll :Love:.

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Mitch - these look really nice. I like the one of Samantha. She's a doll.
    I'm thinking the ratio should be around 4 - 1. . If you still have an SB800
    put it behind the subject down low and put it in "remote" mode and that
    will light your backdrop. Seems I have read that it creates more of a 3d
    effect. Or use it as a hairlight. .

Photography - definiatly cheaper than a girlfriend. . Married guys with
    girlfriends usually end up losing a house. LOL

Good to see the kids all together and smiling.

6. Thanks for looking, UF. I've been playing with the ratios a bit. My wife seems to prefer pretty flat lighting.:frown: Most of these are 2:1 ratios. When I go much above this my wife seems to gripe about the shadows. Even when I point out how much more dimensionality the photos have. Oh well, got to please the client!

I'll keep playing with the ratios for my own satisfaction.

7. Rod, I was hoping you would see these.

I did play a little with an sb800 lighting the background. All I wound up with was a wrinkly looking background!:mad:  I'm not sure how best to position this light , what setting to use, and what modifier would work best.

I'd like to put some gels on the background light to get some color if I could figure it out! I could see how it would work as a hairlight if you build a snoot on it.

Where are your bee portraits? I've been waiting!! Get moving.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.