Still rockin a d70

I bought this years ago and stopped shooting for some time. Is this camera that behind in the times? Low light it seems to be awful, tons of noise.

Any thoughts?

Let's. D70s, D80, D90, D7000. The bar keeps climbing.

However, I'm sure your camera is a perfectly fine camera when used within its capabilities. Find photos it is good at.

Real Name
John
If you expose correctly, the noise should not be that bad. If you underexpose, then yes, the noise will be bad. But the D70 is no less capable of taking excellent photos now than it was when it was introduced.

I've made excellent-quality prints to 13" x 19" from my old D70 and I've heard of people making even larger prints from it. And yes, the newer stuff has a lot of new features and somewhat better image quality.

All that said, I did move on to a D90 about a year ago, as I needed the higher resolution and I really like the improved features. It all comes down to what you want, basically.

The model I own is the D70S, which is a slightly modified D70. "Behind the times" is not good enough reason to stop using a camera. Any old camera can do a great job at taking spectacular shots assuming we do our part.
Not only the D70 but also all cameras before it and those after it till the D300, did not have good enough sensors to be used in low light and all of them suffer of noise with underexposure or when shooting under less than acceptable conditions for their capabilities. The D300 does pretty well up to ISO 1600 and the D7000 is pretty good even at higher ISO settings. For flash photography the sync speed of 1/500sec. of the D70 is hard to beat, even with the professional models.
The D70 is a nice little camera very capable of excellent files. Like jpdenk I have also made beautiful enlargements from the D70 full of beautiful colors and details.
If shooting high ISO is part of your photography, the D70 will not perform to your liking and I would say beyond ISO 800 the camera cannot retain good details.
Under sunny conditions and when low light photography is not demanding, the D70 will do a great job.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Just get out there and shoot.

D50 and 70-300 VR.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I still have and use my D50. The main thing that bothers me is the small and dark viewfinder when compared to the D700. I know, apples and oranges. Aside from this, I still regularly use this camera.

Agree with everyone's comments - at base ISO the D70 is still a competent camera. I find that the images taken with it benefit more from post processing than some of Nikon's newer releases, and anything over ISO 400 will have more noise in it than I'd like, but otherwise shoot away!

I just sold mine when I got my D7000. I've taken a lot of images with it, used it even for industrial clients. I think at ISO 800 or below with the new nosie reduction programs it still gets the job done. The only reason I sold mine is that I knew that I only use two cameras and I liked my D200 better than the D70. But if I hadn't gotten a new camera I would have continued to use it with results I loved - as I shoot two bodies most of the time.

I just recently got a D7000 to replace my D70. I would not have made the change except for the much better high ISO. It is my son's senior year in high school and I wanted to get some decent basketball shots of him otherwise I may have not even bothered. Just because it is a little old does not mean it is not capable of taking excellent images with the proper guidance.

Still using the D70s here. Just be mindful of its limits and it'll still churn out great images.

But yes, AF and Noise in low light is horrendous.

I went from a D70s to a D7000 and I still miss my D70s =(

Im planning to pick one up for a backup sometime soon, I just absolutely love that camera.

I kept my D70 when I got my D300s. Other than the small LCD, I am still happy with its images.

I bought this years ago and stopped shooting for some time. Is this camera that behind in the times? Low light it seems to be awful, tons of noise.

Any thoughts?
Yes, it is behind the times. Yes, noise above 640 ISO is "aweful", even with the use of a noise removal program. But, yes, it is still a great camera. If you could see the number of 11x14 prints I have on my walls from that camera from Zion, Bryce, and the CA coast, if you could see the 24x36 prints of a client's family, if you could see the 20x30 canvas wrap I made for my wife, and the first 3-4 weddings that I did using mainly a D70s, you would realize that it is still a fantastic camera. Use it until you actually find a good reason not to. :smile:

Many posts all saying basically the same thing. Thank you all.

Maybe a nicer lens and flash is due before a body. :)

Top Bottom