Still searching for that perfect beauty shot

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Steve S, May 13, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Taken right after dawn this morning over at the nearby church's soccer field. Any thoughts to make a better one though shooting a different angle, camera height, etc?
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  2. that is darn near perfect Steve!

3. jxs1984

jxs1984

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    nice shot. sexy vette

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Heck Steve,

don't know what I would change or suggest, this is just about perfect! maybe try a 2:1 crop and balance the amount of open space in front and behind the car, and touch less grass, but I sure haven't ever taken a car shot with this technical perfection.

Just a superb image, stunning, great colors, spot on photo!

Wade

5. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    I love the angle and the colors, especially the tone of the sky in comparison to the color of the car. Sell this one to GM for their brochures!

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks guys. fyi, the shot was taken with a Nikon D200, and 70-200VR lens @98mm as I squatted down in a small ditch. The sky was masked off in Photoshop,and made "more orange". It wasn't that orange naturally.
    So, Wade, what's this 2:1 crop you suggested I might try? I don't follow.

7. The colors are way off. Everyone knows that vette should be silver!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    your current photo is a 2:3 ratio I believe, I sometimes use a 2:1 ratio for landscapes and aviation photos.

so a 2:1 would end up being a 10x20 image or 20x40 or 5x10 print.

Generally usefull on larger prints with longish subject matters, but not as usefull on the web, your vette just seemed like a candidate, however, it is a stunning photo as is, and I was just offering a humble thought on this superb image.

[​IMG]

Wade

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Here is a tighter crop with 2:3 ratio like you had but with balnace front and rear.

Understand I am a big symmetry guy with photos! and I only mention this because you had the critique icon up.

Don't know which I like best.

Wade

[​IMG]

10. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    I prefer Wades 1st rework - now bump the grass a bit "greener" and you have a keeper!

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    OK, you mean aspect ratio!

Duh, I don't know why I didn't grasp that initially. I do like what you did to it, and will try printing it both ways, including the symmetrical crop you also did. Thanks Wade!

12. I agree with others... this is perfect! I can't imagine a better color backdrop for this colored vette.

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Anthony

I may see what I can do about the grass in the foreground, but having just eliminated a line of foreground grass in another pic I'm about to post on the retouching forum, I know it's fairly painstaking work for someone with my PS skill set.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Dang Steve! That's one of the best car pix I've seen. I didn't even know you did that!

15. No, no... not silver.... black... :biggrin:

Nice shot Steve.

16. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    The only thing that would make this a nicer shot is to put me behind the wheel.
    Very nice car.

17. I prefer the original; the grass is just right as well. Gorgeous photography!

Rich

18. Great shot, but I like your avatar photo better.

Anyway, the sky may be a bit funky, but looks like it would work great for advertising.

19. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ehh, it's ok, hey, you take enough shots, you're bound to get a good one once in a while! Besides, that, it also helps to get up well before dawn!

Oh, come on, everybody knows a true Vette must be RED!

Come on over sometime, you can drive it!

Ya, I'm with you Muril, I would rather be shooting young attractive models, but they're not so easy to find!

20. DJ Matt

DJ Matt Guest

wow! looks like you might have gotten it