Stillness C&C

Discussion in 'Birds' started by gmaker1, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Early morning capture in Santa Cruz.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Gil,

I like the photo. An elegant bird with a nice backgroud for contrast.

My only other comment is that I would have preferred this to be a vertical orientation and be able to see the full reflection of the bird. I realize that this may not have been possible but its what I feel would make this photo even better than it already is.

Thanks for sharing,

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. You have asked for critique and so that is what I will do. First of all when a bird such as this stands alone with nothing else in the image to carry the photo it must be sharp and detailed. This image is neither. I agree with your crop, especially since the water is so still that it would be difficult to separate the bird from its reflection. I would have gone just a little tighter by cropping some more off the right side and the bottom of the image. The crop on the bottom would have been where the neck of the bird enters the body. The way it is, the neck gives an unwanted exit from picture.

Another thing I might try, just to add a little more interest, is an adjustment of the Highlight/Shadow in PS. My attempt here would be to get just a hint of detail in the water and to bring up the background just a tad. White birds and black backgrounds are extreemly difficult to pull off and this one just misses the cut. This is of course, just one persons opinion.:smile:

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    First off, let me preface this C&C by strongly urging everyone asking for a C&C to please include the basic shooting data in their post. This will sometimes help the person commenting to fine tune thier comments.

The only thing I can say critically about this shot is it immediately strikes me as soft. Why is it soft, well, without any shooting data, that's impossible to even guess. I would also add that cropping it up further from the bottom, was a good suggestion.

6. Thank you all for your comments. Steve, I will take your suggestion and post the shooting data in the future. Your comments will be added to my list of "helpful hints that I save after every posting. Thanks again for your help.

Gil