Stinging Nettle

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by nfoto, Sep 8, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Just to throw a spanner or nettle in the ruling idyllic close-up works, here is my contribution,

Up close, it is rather nice too. But do remember to wear gloves :)

Camera: D2X
    Lens: Repro-Nikkor 85 mm f/1 @ f/1

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice sense of motion Bjørn. I guess it's the f/1 that makes it fun to 'find the focus'!

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This lens, used at 1:1 life-size and f/1 has no "DOF" at all. So just forget about back- or front-focus and suchlike mundane issues. All collapse into an infinitesimal thin plane of focus.

Of course, this is exactly what makes using such a lens an enjoyable pleasure. You change the image completely just by moving a fraction in any direction, or as the case is for typical plants, wind will make them sway and you just have to be patient and bide your time.

I took this image in my garden as a test picture with my newly chipped 85/1 lens. This custom-made chip is really nice, reports itself as an 85/1 lens, has "G" mode without AF so the lens is compatible with all Nikons, and I can dial in all f-numbers from f/1 to f/8. With a WT-2 on the D2X, I crawled around to find the optimum angles and compositions, images transmitted automatically, and afterwards all images were ready for me on my Linux-based FTP server. I only had to grab a beer and browse the FTP directory to select the best images. I like this kind of urban nature photography, sort of giving the best of all worlds combined.

4. Nice halo's and soft focus on the dastardly plant. Well done :smile:

5. D2Xcrazy

D2Xcrazy

Aug 23, 2005
    Interesting image. I like the light shade of colors.

6. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Interesting. I like the halo'ed superimposition of green against a blue background. Was this backlit or is the halo a characteristc of the lens?

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

"Halo" here is just the visual expression of an ultra-ultrathin DOF (< 0.2mm, or about the width of a strand of hair).

You don't think in terms of sharpness with this kind of lens, you compose with colour regions.

I was shooting against a darkening twilight sky, so in a technical sense the scene was "backlit".

8. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Surreal maestro. Has the Rorslett imprimatur. Did you make up the chip yourself? from what part sources?

9. Quite beautiful.

Speaking of 85s... I have been pondering the 85 2.8 PC lens, which you seem to like quite a bit. Do you have an examples taken with that lens?

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Try this, entitled "Lake of Gold";

A typical 85 PC image. I use it mainly for landscapes, more infrequently for close-ups.

11. I like that very much. Any technical details you care to provide are appreciated. :biggrin:

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nikon D1X, 85PC, at sunset, ice-covered lake, early January, -25 degrees, and wind. In fact it was the biting wind which had swept part of the newly fallen snow away from the ice to allow those warm sunset colours of the snow pack to contrast the blue of the ice sheet beneath.

Except for the cold, an easy shot to get.

13. Neil

Neil

Jul 8, 2005
    Douglasville, GA
    Bjørn did not think could like something better than the Stinging Nettle but then you post Lake of Gold, incredible thanks for sharing.
    Neil

14. Love the mood of the photo Bjørn and as some said the halos are working great in your photo. The colors are like oil painting colors. When i see the F/1 i think right away how would that lens work in dark lighting shot.

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That sounds like so much fun Bjørn! How fast does the WT unit get the pix to the server?

"Urban Nature Photography" Has a nice ring to it!

16. nfoto

nfoto Guest

About as fast as I shoot them :smile: On a more serious note, this depends on the link speed. When I'm outside my house (the wireless access point, hooked into the network, is indoors), speed tends to drop significantly (into the 6-11 Mb/s range), so obviously transmitting a full D2X NEF does take time. But since the camera buffers the images on the CF card, it really doesn't matter much. After a file is transmitted it is automatically deleted from the card. I never have had to pause shooting, since the WT-2 transmits all the time making full use of the interludes in which I concentrate on the next picture (contrary to popular belief, there is an intellectual process ongoing when these images are captured, it's not all at random).

There is no contradiction between "urban nature" and "nature photography", we should heed the call to explore all habitats accessible to us in visual terms. I'd say it's even more important these days to direct attention to populated areas, because pristine wilderness not only is becoming more and more scarce, it is also by being an unattainable dream diverting our focus from the environmental issues or treasures of our immediate neighbourhood.

OK, one more nettle and then I'll promise not to sting anymore,

Again, D2X and the Repro-Nikkor 85 mm f/1 used wide open at f/1.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005