1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Stitching warps too much

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by web52, Jul 8, 2018.

1. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    I have some panos that I want to stitch together, but being new to PTgui, I don't know how to fix this particular issue. Have seen it in Adobe as well trying to stitch.

Several waterfalls together in a series. Each picture is vertical (water is falling DOWN). The stitched version has one of the falls vertical, but another one is very much off-vertical.

Should I do a series of 2-picture stitches, then stitch another set (like a sports competition bracket)? I want to force certain pictures to have a particular "this is vertical" line and then force the other trees and rocks to stitch relative to those lines.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I have tried what you describe without it helping much.
    How much do they overlap? I always go for at least a third overlap.
    Are the photos properly vertical? If not, try editing the individual images that are the most crooked before attempting to stitch.
    If all else fails you may need to edit the output from the stitching in Photoshop to force the vertiicals you want. It can do what you describe.

3. Add Vertical Control Points on the images !

(y)
    J-P.

4. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Thanks, JP and Growl.
    10-exposure series.

We were hiking up from the bottom of the Falls (Iguazú River boat ride) vertically around 300 feet to meet our guide. Not exactly a tripod-friendly effort. I was using the guide lines in the camera viewer (portrait camera orientation, short line in viewer is now horizontal -- parallel to the general forest canopy and long lines along vertical water falling) while swiveling at the hips. Not the most accurate, but with practice it's fairly OK. There was more than 30% overlap, closer to 50%.

I added some PTGui vertical lines (I think one point at the top of line Frame 1 and the other point at the bottom of the line in Frame 2 -- maybe not the way it should be). It came out "meh". Verticals in 8 of the 9 adjacent pairs. One didn't have a good waterfall stripe, but some good forest overlap was enough for me. Optimizing the pano was not so good because it was saying the vertical-line-pairs were a huge distance apart (yep). Also removed sky pairs because cloud cover made the sky nearly white, and there were birds circling over the updrafts.

I did the slow way in PS. From the middle, did 2-frame blends and adjusted for vertical. Then did 2-frame blends of those 5 pairs. This looks better, but I'm not sure it's ready for the wall.

JP: You really should try to get to Iguazú (portuguese Iguaçú). I only got to the Argentine side due to the cost of a visa to enter Brazil for just one day. The hike is intense if doing just one day. I could have spent a week there. I also got the river boat ride. Fun, but take a waterproof camera. They provide waterproof vinyl bags for the good gear and passports.
    (these pictures are NOT in the pano being discussed)
    _DSC4330%20copy.
    NIKON D7200    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8    32mm    f/8.0    1/800s    ISO 100

DSCN2045%20copy.
    COOLPIX S6000    ---    5mm    f/7.4    1/2000s    ISO 400

DSCN2048%20copy.
    COOLPIX S6000    ---    5mm    f/7.4    1/2000s    ISO 400

(bad photos but good memories! This is a prime example of photography capturing the EMOTION of the moment.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. Hi Bill !

I wish I could go visit Iguaçu Falls, but it's 3600 km. from here !

One thing I noticed in your post was the VERTICAL CPs ! ...ou MUST chose the same image, and add tge CPs once on the left, once on the right !

6. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    ah. OK will try.
    3600 km -- within range of A319 or 737 ;-)
    There are flights going to the Puerto Iquazu -- both the Brazil side and the Argentina side.

Other than the walk up from the river tour (ride down in big trucks) it was pretty flat walking. There were some people who rode the boats back to the launching area where the trucks left us off, so a variation in the ticket might have the truck ride on both ends (going and coming).

That trip was my once-in-a-lifetime trip; saved up 5 or 6 years for the airplane tickets.
    _DSC4020b%20copy-L.
    NIKON D7200    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8    17mm    f/18.0    1/60s    ISO 100

There is a little train for some of the distance
    _DSC3739%20copy-L.
    NIKON D7200    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8    55mm    f/9.0    1/60s    ISO 160

and a bit more than a half-mile walk on a solid foot-bridge over the river:
    upload_2018-7-12_11-4-19.
    NIKON D7200    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8    17mm    f/9.0    1/500s    ISO 160

to get to the Devil's Throat:
    _DSC3809%20copy.
    NIKON D7200    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8    31mm    f/7.1    1/2000s    ISO 100

oh, did I mention mist/waterproof or "raincoat"? (Brazil on right, Argentina on left)
    _DSC3905%20copy.
    NIKON D7200    17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8    17mm    f/9.0    1/400s    ISO 100

• Like Like x 1
  7. Growltiger

You got some good shots. I went there some years ago, I got wet.
    I think they are the best waterfalls in the world (far better than Victoria Falls or Niagara).

8. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Thanks, Growl. I know you can relate to my 1) really wanting to take LOTS of pictures, and 2) wanting to re-live that excitement by immersing into the pano shots. Your experience led me to realize that telephoto lenses are not for this venue, so I only carried the wide angle lens that day. In Paysandú, Uruguay I was kicking myself for leaving the superzoom lens behind -- they had a high variety of bird species, and I even got a chance to see a Rhea in the wild!

In one sense it's a shame the falls are so far away from anything else. On the other hand, Niagara has not "benefited" by being so close to consumers of electricity (so much water goes through the niagara electrical generators).

Thanks again.

9. Growltiger

I didn't do the boat ride, but I started in Brazil before entering Argentina. Next time you could visit Brazil, lots more amazing views on that side.

I just seached my entire photo collection, not a single photo of a Rhea. You did well.

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Bill, what a fantastic place to visit and see......thank you for sharing the photos....absolutely great...

Best wishes Ray

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.