Stock photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mart61, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I'm considering putting shots onto a "stock" site (when I'm good enough). Can anyone advise me:

1) A good site to use that takes all sorts of stuff?
    2) How it's handled (uploads, payment etc)?
    3) Is it worth bothering (how much money might one expect to receive from an image sale vs the effort required to post and administer)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Martin

2. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

If you did it 5 years ago you could have made a nice sum. Nowadays there are to many 'micro-stock' sites offering images at $1 each and basically the market has ended it's 'golden era'.
    Unless you shoot what everyone wants (and no one else does) you'll probably find effort vs. reward not worth it.
    If you choose a non-UK based agency you also have the aggro of getting the money into your bank account.
    Not sounding too pessimistic am I ?

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Adrian is correct, the stock photography market is saturated. Might you consider becoming a stringer for a local newspaper? A bit of freelancing could net you some income from time to time.

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I'll echo the above , years ago it was a pretty good setup,they would market your photographs for you at market price (Thats a big key ) and they would take 50% & send you a check for 50%.

Its still a good setup with the bigger agencies I think ,But its very hard to get on with the big guys.

Check out this thread , the same thing is happening in alot of fields of photography.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=25463

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I had someone offer to use one of my images the other day...lol
    He said , oh you hold all the rights to the image...lololol
    I said, I get 50% of this large number you are talking about friend.
    End of discussion......

6. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

To make money , with stock sales, you really need something, that is different or difficult to get or have.

People photos are number 1
    Sports are number 2
    Nature shots, difficult to achieve or unusual.
    Landscape or architecture, unusual or very visual and appealing.

Etc. Etc. everyone with a digital camera and PP knowledge, wants to sell stock.
    Big agencies like Getty, Wireimage only accept high resolution shots, and are difficult to hook up with.

If you really think your stuff has commercial appeal, then try putting some of your work on your own website up for stock sale. You can link to Google and Yahoo, see if you get any sniffles. It is really difficult and not very rewarding, unless it's really something that has commercial or collector appeal.

remember there are copyright rules you need to pay attention to, like your photo of the Breiteling, the name and the watch are probably both subject to patent and copyright law.

7. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Plus with people shots, if their face is recognisable you need a model release unless it's a news item - unlikely for a stock image.
    I signed up with Scoopt which do news images but even they have now been brought up by Getty - but their rates are rather rubbish. Another to try is something like www.fotolibra.com which often send out emails asking for specifics (when a publisher wants images of Wales, the call goes out for Welsh pictures etc). But again, everyone with a digital camera uploads their dross and it's upto you to make yours standout from the crowd.
    As an example, at a one day workshop I was at recently, the instructor who admits to loading his images onto stock sites clearly pointed out that taking a standard image of (say) a lion in a portrait pose might be the first time for you but everyone else has also taken that shot. You'd have to take one with the lion doing something interesting/funny/out of the ordinary else no one will want your image specifically over someone elses.
    Do you feel your images are unique? Have you searched stock agencies or even Google images to see if everyone else has images similar to yours?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for your input people. I think I'll put this idea on hold for a while...