Stop me please... or Thanks Nikon Cafe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bozola, Apr 2, 2007.

1. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Don't know if this is typical for Cafe folks.. but this is my story.

Decided to get an DSLR as a reward for a job promotion in 2005.
    Lots of folks at work with Nikon equipment, but then RonS (coworker and cafe goer) introduces me to the Cafe.

I ask a lot of questions. I get lots of advice. I can't decide.. D50, D70s, D200.. GRR.

When the price dropped on the D70s I pulled the trigger on 4/8/06
    Wait one month for a 18-200VR.
    I buy a nice holster bag.

I think I'm set... but then it starts....i read more NikonCafe. Post some pics.

Everybody is talking Sigma 10-20.

I buy a Sigma 10-20

Read more Nikon Cafe. Post more pics.

I buy an SB800 based on more cafe advice.

Read more Nikon Cafe. Everybody is talking Nikon 70-300VR

I buy a Nikon 70-300VR

Read more Nikon Cafe, Post more pics.

Based on more advice I buy not one but TWO bags.
    Tamrac Velocity 9 and the Crumpler 6 Million.

Read more Nikon Cafe...... Then a CRAZY idea.

I put my D70s up for sale on the cafe. IT SELLS in ONE DAY!

I buy a Nikon D80.....

all this in a year....

STOP me PLEASE.. :mad: :mad: or
    Thanks Nikon Cafe!!!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

2. Welcome to the club, its an addiction. Seriously.

3. Only ONE SB-800? What's up with that?

Seriously, I hear you...welcome to the addiction...

4. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    You mean I need 2?

5. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    You could probably use someting like the 70-200vr or a nice tripod and a nice ball head have you priced a nice ball head :rolleyes: Heck I think you are just getting started. :Alien:

6. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Sounds 'bout right.:370:

7. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    So.. I can blame RonS.. I'll tell the wife! :biggrin:

8. You bet, blame me.

Next on list, 70-200VR, second SB800 (or SB600), umbrella, stand, tripod, 85 mm 1.8, ... the list keeps growing.

9. I have three and wish I had four.

10. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can't understand why you didn't keep the D70 as your backup. I've been onboard for a few weeks now and it seems everyone has at least one high quality camera as a backup. There is no good reason for you not to take out a second mortgage and get all the equipment that everyone else says you can't live without!

haze

11. LOL!

Seems to be a typical story around here... Welcome to the club! :biggrin:

12. Yep!!! I had to remove my kit listing...it was getting embarassing!! LOL!! Wecome to the Cafe!! LLD strikes again and again and again!!

13. Sounds normal to me.
    2 more SB-800's are a must.

14. In reading your story, I see nothing abnormal or perverse happening. What you have done it just S. O. P. (Standard Operating Procedure).

Now what really gets insane is bird shooting - big ones (Egrets, Herons, Eagles) you are only looking at a $10-12K outlay for equipment (HR body, HD tripod and Head, and at least 400mm + TC's. For the little no-seeums (sparrows, warblers and such) you my want to plunk down an additional $10K for a 600mm and a blind. You will stay up nights reading Sibley or Nat Geog. bird books trying to understand habits so you can (sort of) predict which way they might leap for that once-in-a-lifetime in flight shot...

Then there is gas money, motel money, on-the-road food costs. Oh yeah, I forgot the must have remote release you left in the other bag, 1000 miles behind you, that you picked up from B&H for $36. Now you have to buy the same thing at Podunk Camera and Feed Store for $75, assuming you are unwilling to drive 300 miles one way to get it at Ritz for $50.

BTW - It just goes downhill from there....:biggrin:

15. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Like I told RonS.
    Birds and flowers are out (at least for now).

That way, I can pay for the mortgage :biggrin:

16. Frederic,

All things being relative, your equipment acquisition pattern can be regarded quite normal, at least among the folks at this forum. In fact what you have done so far is quite subdued. You should have kept your D70s though as a back up. Now, having identified the need for a back up, this gives you the excuse to buy a D200 as the main camera and having your D80 with similar control layout as back up. Oh yes, those SB800s... We see no reason at all to try to stop you!

17. I feel your pain

Warned if I buy one more piece of equipment, it better have good resale value, because I'll need it for the attorney, LOL

18. ah yes , the story of my life.

19. I'd love to help you but I haven't found a group yet that can cure what ails you or me!

20. Take two aspirins, and call B&H in the morning! *evil grin*