StopShot Water Drop Photography Kit

A friend of mine has this, works very well. Setup takes a bit of time, you need to be sure to build a sturdy platform. But the results are quite cool, especially if you play around with different types of liquid. Milk and oil, not necessarily mixed :eek:, give some fun results. Not to knock my friend, but he is not the most technical guy in the world, and he has been able to be quite successful, so I'm sure you would have no trouble at all :wink:

Their StackShot stuff looks pretty interesting as well, I just wish this stuff didn't cost so darned much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback. Often seeing something first works best for me but it sounds like I can figure this out. Obviously this is a precision setup so I'm sure it will take some time.
Yeah I wish it weren't so pricey but I don't seem to have cheap hobbies.
Glad my wife doesn't ask how much this stuff costs.

Keep the info coming.

Steve

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They don't mention how you go about achieving focus? tough with 1:1 macro.
I think I remember reading somewhere a while back to set a ruler straight down from the water dropper and focus on it?

Steve

Seems like a very expensive way to get shots the world has now seen a million times before. I know the good ones can have a bit of a wow factor but $400?? How often do you think you would use it?

Seems like a very expensive way to get shots the world has now seen a million times before.
I've been using StopShot for quite some time and have extensive experience with the capabilities of the equipment. It is top notch gear, well designed, and extremely accurate.

Yes, it is expensive if all you do is water drop shots that have been done a million times. But if you use your imagination, the StopShot can help create unique images never before seen.

If you are interested in the capabilities, take a look at my long running thread here on the Cafe depicting my experiments with StopShot. It is 60 pages of images and descriptions.

"Shooting Water Drops...With a Gun"

Hand held drop being shot with .22 caliber pellet.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View of water drop being shot with camera mounted above gun barrel. Pellet is moving away from viewer.

Single falling drop shot with pellet

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using StopShot for quite some time and have extensive experience with the capabilities of the equipment. It is top notch gear, well designed, and extremely accurate.
Cool stuff! I had forgotten about your thread. As I recall Desmond does some pretty neat high-speed stuff as well.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom