Storm in Yosemite

Hey Cafe!
Just came back from Yosemite, and I happen to pick the wrong day to shoot :rolleyes: There was a storm brewing and it rained the entire day. My gear got literally soaked but fortunately they continued to work. I did have a scare around noon when my D700 went completely dead in the middle of an exposure.. I thought for sure the water had seeped in but fortunately it's just a dead EN-EL3e that I forgot to recharge! Talk about a close call. :eek: I put in another battery and the D700 woke up ready for action again.

These were all shot in the rain. Imagine having to wipe each filter dry after every exposure. (NOT fun!) It was an unproductive trip (bad weather + bad light) I came home with only about 20 decent shots. Next time we go back, it'll be in the Summer :wink:

#1 - The obligatory Tunnel View with a storm brewing in the horizon

#2 - Closeup of Bridalveil Falls, shot with the 70-200 VR2.

#3 - Lower Yosemite Falls, shot with the 16-35 /4. A difficult one to shoot because of mist and rain

#4 - This is where Yosemite Falls flow

#5 - Finally some clear skies in the afternoon!

#6 - Closeup of Yosemite Falls, shot right in front of the Ansel Adams gallery

#7 - Best light I could get all day

Thanks for looking

These are wonderful! I really like them, specifically because they are not the same old postcard shots with crisp blue skies. These are moody and ethereal. Just beautiful renditions of what nature can really look like. So don't despair - you got some great shots without the 6.5 million people in your way that are all there in summer.

Storm or no storm, that first one takes the cake! Absolutely love it! With #5 a close second. BTW, if I come back from ANY trip with 20 keepers/decent shots, I'm very happy. I tend to have only 1-2 that I consider worth printing, and only a few more than that worth showing to others! :smile:

These are nice. I fly over Yosemite a lot, but I've never actually been there. Maybe one day....

So, you were there Saturday or Sunday last weekend? I was there the entire week before.. Interesting weather and moody shots you got though.. Next time bring a umbrella to keep shooting but stay dry..:smile::smile:

Excellent shots, the weather produced some great atmosphere. Glad your gear survived the rain!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for the kind words! :smile:

So, you were there Saturday or Sunday last weekend? I was there the entire week before.. Interesting weather and moody shots you got though.. Next time bring a umbrella to keep shooting but stay dry..:smile::smile:
I was there on Sunday.. it rained and snowed, and there were some pea-sized hail as well. Due to the bad weather, there weren't a lot of tourists. We were able to leave the park in less than 10 minutes.. and this is on a 3-day Memorial Day weekend! :eek:

1st and last ones for me are wonderful... this is the first set of pictures I've seen from Yosemite that really makes me want to go there and take pictures.

Yes, these are

superb!

While I'd rather have nice blue skies so I could better enjoy the out-of-doors, the dark, cloudy skies, especially in that first shot, really add to the mood.

Have you tried any B&W versions of these?

These are wonderful shots. If you go again, then i recommend you go right after the storm, Yosemite is very beatiful after a snow storm.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom