1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Storm in Yosemite

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Joseph, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hey Cafe!
    Just came back from Yosemite, and I happen to pick the wrong day to shoot :rolleyes:  There was a storm brewing and it rained the entire day. My gear got literally soaked but fortunately they continued to work. I did have a scare around noon when my D700 went completely dead in the middle of an exposure.. I thought for sure the water had seeped in but fortunately it's just a dead EN-EL3e that I forgot to recharge! Talk about a close call. :eek:  I put in another battery and the D700 woke up ready for action again.

These were all shot in the rain. Imagine having to wipe each filter dry after every exposure. (NOT fun!) It was an unproductive trip (bad weather + bad light) I came home with only about 20 decent shots. Next time we go back, it'll be in the Summer :wink:

#1 - The obligatory Tunnel View with a storm brewing in the horizon
    5786869290_12337bd586_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 - Closeup of Bridalveil Falls, shot with the 70-200 VR2.
    5786868408_acac262d75_b.jpg

#3 - Lower Yosemite Falls, shot with the 16-35 /4. A difficult one to shoot because of mist and rain
    5786317175_1af7d14c9e_b.jpg

#4 - This is where Yosemite Falls flow
    5786873930_f98acc5ecc_b.jpg

#5 - Finally some clear skies in the afternoon!
    5786878528_9ea2f96af6_b.jpg

#6 - Closeup of Yosemite Falls, shot right in front of the Ansel Adams gallery
    5786316103_674d4241c1_b.jpg

#7 - Best light I could get all day
    5782123993_31ec737f56_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

2. These are wonderful! I really like them, specifically because they are not the same old postcard shots with crisp blue skies. These are moody and ethereal. Just beautiful renditions of what nature can really look like. So don't despair - you got some great shots without the 6.5 million people in your way that are all there in summer.

3. Great series. The first one is my favorite. I'd love to have that to hang on my wall. Good job

4. I say these look fantastic. The cloudy, moody skies really add to these photos lending a different sort of view than the average shots from this often photographed setting.

5. Storm or no storm, that first one takes the cake! Absolutely love it! With #5 a close second. BTW, if I come back from ANY trip with 20 keepers/decent shots, I'm very happy. I tend to have only 1-2 that I consider worth printing, and only a few more than that worth showing to others! :smile:

6. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    These are nice. I fly over Yosemite a lot, but I've never actually been there. Maybe one day....

7. So, you were there Saturday or Sunday last weekend? I was there the entire week before.. Interesting weather and moody shots you got though.. Next time bring a umbrella to keep shooting but stay dry..:smile::smile:

8. Wow... great shots, especially the first one.

9. Sometimes the crappy weather produces gorgeous shots and it certainly did for you ...
    Beautiful shots ---

ron

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly

Mar 18, 2011
    New York City
    Really just stunning.

11. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    Excellent shots, the weather produced some great atmosphere. Glad your gear survived the rain!

12. FotoWerkz

FotoWerkz

Jan 9, 2011
    Iowa
    Very nice indeed. I also like that they aren't the normal sunny day, blue sky pics.

13. Thank you all for the kind words! :smile:

I was there on Sunday.. it rained and snowed, and there were some pea-sized hail as well. Due to the bad weather, there weren't a lot of tourists. We were able to leave the park in less than 10 minutes.. and this is on a 3-day Memorial Day weekend! :eek: 

14. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Excellent shots, nice compositions. You did great with the light that you had.

15. Beautiful set!! #1 & #4 do are my favorites. All the pictures are so moody...great captures!

16. 1st and last ones for me are wonderful... this is the first set of pictures I've seen from Yosemite that really makes me want to go there and take pictures.

17. Yes, these are

superb!

While I'd rather have nice blue skies so I could better enjoy the out-of-doors, the dark, cloudy skies, especially in that first shot, really add to the mood.

Have you tried any B&W versions of these?

18. Sang Tran

Sang Tran

Oct 31, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    These are wonderful shots. If you go again, then i recommend you go right after the storm, Yosemite is very beatiful after a snow storm.

19. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    Incredible!

20. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Great set, with for me #1 outstanding!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.