1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Storm Lighting (I never claimed to be smart)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobbyv, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Storm lighting, a term coined by me, means that the sky to the east...the background in this shot...is dark with a huge summer storm moving towards the west coast from Tampa at 20 m.p.h. The setting sun to the west provides the light since there are no clouds over the Gulf of Mexico yet. Finally, the photographer...me...is stupid enough to be in the middle of the lagoon shooting a single Spoonbill, while cloud to ground lightning is cracking to my left. I got about 8 shots and ran to the truck.
    1616a.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
  2. gorec

gorec

May 15, 2014
    UAE
    Bobby , beautiful shot!!but you did the right thing by evacuating, being wet it a storm is dangerous!!glad you made it safely with 8 shots !!(y)

3. Not stupid, Bobby. Awesome lighting opportunities MUST be taken advantage of. Well done.

4. Ah but you survived.

5. A gorgeous shot, but of course no shot is worth dying for.

6. I agree with Mike. Lighting is excellent.

7. Even nicer considering the danger factor

8. Beautiful lighting Bobby!

A friend of mine used to frequently say “If you don’t do stupid stuff, you won’t have any good stories to tell” :D 

9. As my signature quite states, “Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.” ~ A. A. Milne

10. You did get some beautiful light through your foolhardiness. Great photo, and I'm glad there were no bad results.

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

11. Worth the risk I'd say, very nicely done Bobby, and you survived to post it.

12. Great contrast with that sky. It’s ok to die for a shot, if you have someone lined up to process and share the image.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Thanks...but yes...stupid. Just ask my wife.

14. But you'll likely stay out of jail.

• Like Like x 1
  15. And if my family receives my retirement benefits. It was a cool experience.

16. awesome none the less...................

17. As long as it's a shot to die for right?

18. Bobby I am glad for you this worked out as the shot is beautiful. I am also glad you got out ok. We all want to see more shots from you in the future you know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.