Critique Storm waves

Playing with some images from earlier in the year.
I just love the ocean. It can be calm, it can be violent.
Playing with lots and lots of waves with slow shutterspeeds.
Thoughts or ideas?
Thanks
gary

markbeach 82221  62295_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Marvellous!
I think you captured the different looks of the waves really well, Gary.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Another YES from me! The composition works very well. I like how the top wave has 3 (odd # !) higher "splash" areas that add a lot of interest.

The more I look at the photo (it's so enjoyable that I've reviewed it several times), the more I realize that one of the characteristics that draws me in to closely examine the details is that though most of the action is blurred, some of it is stopped. It's the small areas of stopped action that really grab my attention and compel me to try to understand why only those areas are stopped.

Thanks for all the kind words.
I love to shoot waves, and like a blind chicken looking for corn- it you shoot enough one works.
I find the post processing on these difficult- you can control the amount of detail by changing contrast and sharpening. The possibilities are endless- and I never know when to stop.
When you shoot 1/6- 1/2 sec I find most of the images are blurry crap- but if you pan just right, you get some sharp areas. Those work.
Blurry abstract images rarely attract attention- but I really like some of them.
Thanks so much for the support!!
gary

BTW, this is printed on a 13x19" paper and looks great. I will likely print this BIG, but am rapidly running out of walls.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The more I look at the photo (it's so enjoyable that I've reviewed it several times), the more I realize that one of the characteristics that draws me in to closely examine the details is that though most of the action is blurred, some of it is stopped. It's the small areas of stopped action that really grab my attention and compel me to try to understand why only those areas are stopped.
Yes, that is what I commented about in Post #4. Those sections of the image offer such a nice contrast to the blur of the waves. ;)

Love the shot. My only "quibble" is that it doesn't reflect the storm moniker in your title! Your shot is of a delicate, intricate, well behaved pair of waves—almost glass and silken in construction.
Nevertheless, a fabulous shot and treatment—even if it is not the wave that ate Winter Haven!

Playing with some images from earlier in the year.
I just love the ocean. It can be calm, it can be violent.
Playing with lots and lots of waves with slow shutterspeeds.
Thoughts or ideas?
Thanks
gary

View attachment 1691823
I would like to see more of the distant horizon and clouds from the storm. While the photo of the waves is very good, to get the full effect of a storm, I would like to see more of the surrounding environment of the storm.

Interesting discussion. I learn a lot from how other people think.
I do have some sky in the original image, but it was bland grey and I did not think added anything, it was a grey band. In this image there is probably about 2" of bland sky that starts right at the crop. I did wish I had more ocean without waves on the top of the image, but no luck.
To me, the image was about the waves. I have other images about the day, with some pretty great skies- but this had the best waves.
I find naming an image difficult and powerful. Give too detailed a name, and you control what people feel and see. Too vague a name, and it attracts no attention.
Again, I really appreciate your thoughts and inputs.
I go back to the beach in a couple of days, hope to find some more good stuff.
gary

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom