Story of a fool who bought a grey Sigma 12-24mm HSM II, with a happy ending...

I've posted this on another forum but thought you might like to know the story...

A tale of a misaligned Lens a fool who bought grey, a company that didn't really honour their agreement and some shockingly brilliant customer service...

Bought the Lens earlier this year from Panamoz, when I got it I was initially very happy, got it for a great price all UK taxes included and about £150 cheaper than you could get it anywhere else in the UK.

After reading the very few reviews out there, I reckon I was well prepared as to what to expect from the lens, now I'm not a peeper, I have never tested a lens in my life, couldn't be bothered to be honest and my methodology would no doubt be seriously flawed in any case. I buy em to use em not test em!

However...
I began to notice the top right corner was not very sharp at all, being a landscapre it was usually full of sky anyway and so not a concern really but still it started to wrankle, so I contacted Panamoz who were initially very happy for me to send it to Sigma for checking...
It came back about a week later sharper in the centre but the top corner still wishey washey. It'd have to go back! I contacted Panamoz again who replied that since it was a Sigma I couldn't expect it to be sharp across the frame and that was why it was cheap and I should have bought a Nikon one if I wanted that???
Me told then! They also said that i should send it back to them for refund s they would not pay again to have it re-checked (Initial check at Sigma UK is a very reasonable £37.99 but I suspect a major re-jig of elements would be much more and Panamoz new this too!)
They also said getting a replacement would take about eight weeks to reach me (a no no!), I decided I could not go without a wide for that long and subsequent emails bore the truth that Panamoz didn't really think they should provide a replacement despite me having purchased their one year replacment warranty.
If I wanted to keep it I'd have to stump up, so be it, I contacted Sigma UK and sent it back preparing myself for the inevitable wallet shock!
The lens had been away about ten days, so I contacted Sigma UK to see what was happening? They were about to ring me (Their comms are very good!) Their technician was unable to significantly improve the Lens and would it be alright if they gave me a new one? GOBSMACKED!
I HAD NO RIGHT TO DESERVE THAT LEVEL OF CUSTOMER SERVICE!
So my deepest thanks go out to Sigma UK for supporting a fool who will probably now be a lifelong Sigma UK customer...

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good that Sigma replaced your lens free of charge! By the way which lens was this?

well done sigma uk !!! i think you got damn luck either that or sigma are getting really serious about taking on the oem's like nikon and canon. customer service is very much part of a good brand

Not that it doesn't exist but I've never heard bad things about Sigma customer
service... I've even heard of them re-chipping lenses so they would work with
newer camera bodies sometimes for free, even though the lens was bought used...

The only thing you need to watch out for is that Sigma will usually not work
on lenses 10 years after they have been discontinued, whether you are willing
to pay or not... But this isn't unreasonable if you think about it...

Congrat's, Jules...!

Hope the replacement is excellent...! :smile:

Had a similar story with a secondhand 15-30 Sigma I got dirt cheap. However when I received it I discovered why it was so cheap. Although sharp in the centre, both sides were very poor and lacking any definition at all (beyond soft). I contacted Sigma UK and they quoted a very reasonable £26 to examine it including postage. A week or so later they contacted me to say the lens was badly de-centered, and that only Sigma Japan had the skills and equipment to correctly adjust, and asked if it would be OK to return to Japan.

Well about 3 weeks later my lens turned back up, and was well and truly sorted with the extreme edges only slightly now worse than the centre. Total cost.... The original £26 !

I watched an interview a while back with the new CEO of Sigma. Kazuto Yamaki, and I got
the impression that he's really serious about making Sigma one of the best lens/camera
makers in the world...

Here's a great little promo video... Watch at full screen, if you can, to get the best effect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdF3RG0DDYw

Kind of "artsy" but I like it... :smile:

Jules: I am glad things work out for you. Make me feel better as i am saving for a Sigma 35mm lens.

I give up, tried all of the instructions above, tried my panaramio Account too, no dice, anyway this ones getting kept, and I look forward to using it again as soon a I get my D600 (Nickname Spotty!) back from Nikon UK, about six weeks, it's going to be a long wait...

Latest threads

Top Bottom