Strange CP results, see image

I recently took a plane trip and was taking pictures out the window. I started out with my circular polarizer on the lens but took it off as I was getting some very strange effects shooting out the plane window and was wondering what causes this:

9019184833_71fe4d5393_b_d.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Northern Lights? Looks like it's an interraction between the CP and the window plastic - kinda funky, I like it. As for the technical reason for it happening I don't know but it surely is something to do with the way light passes through the plastic plane windows.

You see rainbow patterns when you view plastic items between crossed polarisers - there's something about the arrangement of the linear molecules within the plastic that affects the polarisation of light. Users of wide angle lenses & polarisers will be aware of the band of polarisation that appears in the sky; it looks like that, the plastic window and your filter are adding up to cause a similar effect...

Oh, c'mon, enough of this technical discussion of cross-polarized-light-wave-linear-molecules-particles-plastic-physics-stuff. Just call it "magical" and enjoy the view :biggrin::biggrin:

Funny how CP's can catch you at times. I was photographing skiers and snow-boarders a number of years ago and had a CP on my 70-200. Whne I looked through the viewfinder I was shocked, half the image was black :eek: Then I realized I was wearing my sunglasses, polarized of course.

How readily apparent was this in your VF? It would be interesting to see how changing the direction of the CP would change the rainbow effect.

Oh, c'mon, enough of this technical discussion of cross-polarized-light-wave-linear-molecules-particles-plastic-physics-stuff. Just call it "magical" and enjoy the view :biggrin::biggrin:

I agree with Bill. I think it's cool!!

Carole :)

My polarizing sunglasses produce this same effect through a lot of different glass/plexiglass/plastics. The tinted windows in my car REALLY adds to the effect.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom