Strange Paypal email

I dismissed it a few days ago and recently got a legit email from paypal telling me to resolve this dispute they want their money back. I'm not too sure how safe it is to click on the "issue the buyer a full refund" button. Can money disappear from my account like that? It shows my balance as "$0" with the $740 listed as "held".
I'm starting to believe that it was paid in error to me as stated in the comments but there are so many scams out there I'm a little wary about what I agree to.

"Vine Foundation sent you $740.00 USD

Transaction ID: 0VA68209SM914443G
Dear Desmond Downs,

Just thought you'd like to know Vine Foundation sent you $740.00 USD.

Note from Vine Foundation:
Hey man, you 2 are the reason that we started this ministry, and we will continue to keep doing this as long as we keep meeting people like you. -Jon y Ivy"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is part of what I see when I do that:

Select record 0 12/08/2013 Hey man, you 2 are the reason that we started this ministry, and we will continue to keep doing this as long as we keep meeting people like you. -Jon y Ivy
Payment From Vine Foundation Held Details Payment From Vine Foundation 0VA68209SM914443G $740.00 USD
What's thisTransactions you Archive will be moved to your All Activity list.
Resolution Center
Open Disputes & Claims (1)
Claims requiring your action (1)
Notifications
Policy Updates
More Information

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well have you done a deal with them if not, log in to your acc and dispute it with paypal.

Phil.
I haven't done any trades or used Paypal for years. I just got the strange email and suddenly $740 was in my account - being 'held'. I'm starting to believe it was a genuine mistake but am still wary of 'refunding' someone.... though it does seem to be their money anyway.

There is a paypal scam like this, usually when your selling something on ebay. you get what looks like a legitimate email from paypal after the scammers won it asking for you to post it, and send the tracking number before the held money is released. I know people who have fell for it as it looks very geniune.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have a very bad feeling about this, I think this is a scam. If the money is held you don't actually have it. If you refund them, will they then have your real money, I think so. Then the original held money will vanish, or remain held forever (as it is from a stolen card or whatever), and you will have lost your money.

I would do nothing for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If it is genuine, the money will stop being "held".

Let's see:
- You "receive" money in error in your PP account.
- It checks out (BUT, has it cleared yet!?).
- You return the money.
- Then...original funds don't clear and you find yourself in a bee's nest

OK, maybe I read too many spy novels but I would be very wary. I don't like the "Ministry" thing (many scams portray these and the likes to instil confidence), nor do I like the language of this Mr. Ivy.

I would a): check with the actual Vine foundation (they seem to be legit), b): let some time go by before doing anything.

The first rule of business, know your customer or supplier.

There is no good way to deal on EBAY so take your chances or restrict deals to $10.

Desmond,
A friend got hit with a similar scam years ago with an eBay buyer. He had already shipped the item and Paypal took the money back out of his bank account. That is why I have not used Paypal in years. If you have Paypal linked to a bank account, either close the account or transfer any money out until this is resolved.
Pete

When you deal with PayPal you're going to the PayPal site using your own saved link, correct...?

Don't use any links found in the email, in fact never trust any links to PayPal found in an email...

If this was an honest mistake, DO NOTHING...! If you don't accept the money then the sender
can simply cancel the payment... If you accept the money then you are agreeing to a transaction...

I would also forward that email to: [email protected]

PayPal will then contact you and let you know if it is a legitimate or fraudulent email...

I've forwarded many emails from PayPal that didn't seem quite right and every single time
PayPal has emailed me back confirming they were fraudulent and thanking me for reporting
them... :wink:

Why not CALL PayPal and speak to someone on the phone so you KNOW you're really dealing with PayPal. I've called them and had the handle a few mistakes & disputes for me in the past.

ADesmond
best of luck. Although i can't get all the nuances sugwinninglotterygested by Frits, I agree with him but also check with [email protected]. My only 2 cents are to check if possible from where the reply email comes from. Some programs (like Lotus Notes) have the possibility to "read" the Real address even when it's written a fake one. I.e. If you receive a mail from "[email protected]"and inside there's a link to"[email protected]" by only passing mouse on it, (NOT clicking !) you might read in the bottom left corner the Real link address, ex "[email protected]" and usually most of them point to eastern Asia or african websites, or have them in the Real link name. This is why i've never wanted any ebay account.
if you already know this, discard it.
oh and YES the most scary thing is the fact you see that from within your account. Are you sure it hasn't been hacked? Write to spoof ASAP !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
To paraphrase Monty Python:

Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam!

If you are seeing this when you access your PayPal account directly from PayPal I would be even more concerned than with just the email.

I'll jump on the bandwagon and add my encouragement that you send an email to [email protected] as well as try giving them a call.

The one thing to NOT do at this point in time is to issue any sort of a refund.

Has to be a scam. The signature: Jon y Ivy
:confused:

Really?

Call PayPal directly.
As I mentioned above, the Vine Foundation actually exists.
Thing is that this (alleged) scammer made a mistake: They have an "Ivy Jones", but he/she messed up by signing Jon y Ivy.
Pretty much confirms the smell :eek: as in: if it smells like a rat, it is a rat.

Real Name
Michael
As I mentioned above, the Vine Foundation actually exists.
Thing is that this (alleged) scammer made a mistake: They have an "Ivy Jones", but he/she messed up by signing Jon y Ivy......
Vine Foundation has an Ivy Jones ("in charge of finances") and a Jonathan Jones ("President and CEO") which might account for the signature being from both Jon and Ivy, the two of them being the "we" who started the foundation. And the "y" could be "and" as in spanish. But I agree the whole thing has the odor of the barnyard about it and I would not act on it unless iron clad verified by PayPal. Also agree with suggestion you make sure no bank account is linked or funded with this PayPal account. You have a double whammy here. First what appears to be a fraud and second having to deal with PayPal and all its harsh and unethical practices. Run! Don't walk!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom