Strange Seagull behavior

Sitting in the park today, and decided to track an incoming gull. Then all of a sudden the bird goes into some type of convulsion for a moment, and then recovers to fly away.

Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before?

seagull2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

seagull3.jpg

seagull51.jpg

This could be signs of west nile or certain dangerous bacterial infections. I would report this to your local health dept so they can recover the dead bird.

This could be signs of west nile or certain dangerous bacterial infections. I would report this to your local health dept so they can recover the dead bird.

The bird didn't die, the twitch lasted 2 seconds at most and then it kept flying (as illustrated).

The bird didn't die, the twitch lasted 2 seconds at most and then it kept flying (as illustrated).

Having eyes on the side of their heads birds don't see forward very well... To look directly
at something they turn their head and use one eye...

Just guessing but maybe it just saw something on the ground (or in the water?) and turned
it's head to get a better look at it as it flew over...?

Having eyes on the side of their heads birds don't see forward very well... To look directly
at something they turn their head and use one eye...

Just guessing but maybe it just saw something on the ground (or in the water?) and turned
it's head to get a better look at it as it flew over...?

No, it was pretty abrupt, almost as if it got shot or something.
I'm going to email the photo to the local Ecology society and see if they have any ideas, or they can forward it to someone that does.

I see this action all of the time with sea gulls and terns after they dive in the water. Typically after diving they come up out of the water and after getting air borne they shake, just like a dog does after coming out of the water, to dry themselves off. I would bet that is what was taking place in this shot. Nice shooting by the way.

I see this action all of the time with sea gulls and terns after they dive in the water. Typically after diving they come up out of the water and after getting air borne they shake, just like a dog does after coming out of the water, to dry themselves off. I would bet that is what was taking place in this shot. Nice shooting by the way.

This makes sense, especially from someone familiar with typical seagull behavior...

I like the twisted head in the second one. I would clone out those light poles in the first shot. They really detract from a nice image.

Typically after diving they come up out of the water and after getting air borne they shake, just like a dog does after coming out of the water, to dry themselves off. I would bet that is what was taking place in this shot.

That may be it. Although I don't remember seeing it that pronounced before.
Who knows, maybe it's having a hard time digesting a plastic toy or something.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom