Strategic error by Nikon?

OK... where are the AF-S primes and an updated 80-400?

Nikon's going to be losing customers by not meeting a need they created. The lack of screw-drive focusing motors in the D0, 40X and D60 is driving people elsewhere ........ all that speculation and nada....nothing..... people aren't waiting....

And with the new Sigma OS/HSM 120-400 and 150-500, people waiting for an updated 80-400 may decide to move on - that waiting for Nikon is pointless......

and what happened to the D90 - the D80 replacement?

Either Nikon has more in the pipeline or they may be making a real mistake in leaving some pretty large markets unaddressed

I think it's still too early to be making such claims. I do believe Nikon know what they're doing :smile:

The d40/40x/60 are designed to appeal to novice dSLR users. While I realize that there may be some owners of those cameras (i.e.: people who have already invested in them) who want these lenses, to most people making the decision whether or not to buy one, the lack of primes will not be a huge factor.

When I bought my d80, the d40 had just come out. I considered it, but knew that Primes were something I was interested in, and I took the d80 in part for that reason (there were other advantages, too).

Many d40/60 users could give a flip whther or not they can use an overpriced (from their perspective) single-focal-length lens on their camera. They're fine with their kit lens/55-200mm VR combination.

So I doubt Nikon is losing a ton of market share for this reason...

Paul

The d40/40x/60 are designed to appeal to novice dSLR users. While I realize that there may be some owners of those cameras (i.e.: people who have already invested in them) who want these lenses,

But, A Consumer Canon Rebel can take any Canon lens.. That is a big deal for some people..

Photokina is still some time away. Many people expect additional announcements prior to the show.

I'd agree with Paul. Everybody I've given camera advice to ended up with a D40 regardless of my strong explaining that it will not work with any current Nikon prime or most used lenses. They were interested in the 18-55 kit lens and "a zoom lens" (55-200 non VR was purchased) and will probably be done purchasing camera gear for the foreseeable future. I traded to a D50 after realizing I want the ability to AF my 50mm and want to purchase the lower cost f/2.8 AF zoom lenses since I can't really afford the new ones.

The D80 replacement will be out by Christmas and will, more than likely, contain the same sensor as the D300.

Never really thought about the 80-400.

I agree that Nikon's just getting started and that Photokina may have everybody pleased :)

The d700 wedges in perfect to fill the gap and to compete with the so-called 5d mk2 that canon's supposed to release soon

I am sorry, but why buy a D40 when you know that you won't be able to use some glass (that you want to use) will not be autofocus on the D40 body? To me, the D40 buyer is an hobbyist who is getting serious. If he/she wants more, then there is the D80. Do not misunderstand me, I do want Nikon to redesign the old AF systems with AF-S, but not by taking resource away from other areas. Nikon is a small company compared to Canon, and I like the way Nikon operates. It does not want to be the Jack of all trades, because then you can't be the master of none. If someone feels the Canon, or Sony or Oly fits their needs, then they will get it or maybe get a third party glass. Siggy has filled a lot of holes in the Nikon line up recently, if you have noticed.

I think not trying to be a Jack of all trades is not a strategic blunder but a smart business decision. It allows the company to be the master of fine optical instruments, which Nikon is in my opinion. :)

By the way, I think Nikon has given its users more compatibility than Canon has. Think FD... and compare it with AIS. Ok... rant over.

Real Name
Rodney
But, A Consumer Canon Rebel can take any Canon lens.. That is a big deal for some people..

Not true, it can take any EF lens. Try mounting an FD lens, it won't work. Now try mounting an AIS lens to any new nikon body. Depending on body, you will have full auto exposure, down to manual only, but it will still mount and work.

Real Name
Randy
OK... where are the AF-S primes and an updated 80-400?

Nikon's going to be losing customers by not meeting a need they created. The lack of screw-drive focusing motors in the D0, 40X and D60 is driving people elsewhere ........ all that speculation and nada....nothing..... people aren't waiting....

And with the new Sigma OS/HSM 120-400 and 150-500, people waiting for an updated 80-400 may decide to move on - that waiting for Nikon is pointless......

and what happened to the D90 - the D80 replacement?

Either Nikon has more in the pipeline or they may be making a real mistake in leaving some pretty large markets unaddressed

yea they are really sweating the pressure from sigma and there's always used 30d's out there

your post ranks as one of the all time most ridiculous posts I have ever seen but thx for the laff....

fks

not to mention EF-S lenses (canon's version of DX lenses), which won't work on the D30, D60, 10D, 5D, or 1D-series bodies.

canon's lens lineup is not 100% compatible as they want you to believe.

ricky

Not true, it can take any EF lens. Try mounting an FD lens, it won't work.

Not true, it can take any EF lens. Try mounting an FD lens, it won't work. Now try mounting an AIS lens to any new nikon body. Depending on body, you will have full auto exposure, down to manual only, but it will still mount and work.

But nobody with a D40/D60 would be using AIS lenses! Although the D60 has a very nice manual focus indicator bar that is perfect for manually focusing.

Real Name
Rodney
not to mention EF-S lenses (canon's version of DX lenses), which won't work on the D30, D60, 10D, 5D, or 1D-series bodies.

canon's lens lineup is not 100% compatible as they want you to believe.

ricky

Yes! That really ticked me off when I was a 10D owner! Glad to be home!

I do like my D60 a lot.
But I will be upgrading my body sometime in the future.
I want an in-body focus motor.
When I got the D60, I didn't know much and didn't think I'd be getting as much into photography as I have been.

Had I known then, what I know now, I definitely would have gotten at least a D80.

It's hard to advise people on what to get (camera-wise), because it all depends on how serious they *think* they might be getting with photography, in my opinion.

Where did you see Nikon say they were building a D90?

All Nikon rumors I've come across have turned out to be true so far, so the D90 will probably be real. I've already heard rumors of Nikon using a big DX sensor in a compact camera, Nikon's version of the DP1.

... Seriously, why would Nikon make two variable apreture f/4.5-5.6 zooms with one going from 80-400 and the other going from 70-300...

Because that makes them affordable and Nikon can make money by selling a lot of them... volume and affordability is the key word here. Nikon does make a 200-400/f4 VR, but it is quite expensive. The 70-200/2.8VR and 200-400/4 VR does cover a good bit of range with pro level glass.

Latest threads

Top Bottom