Stream Hydrology

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by beaucamera, Jan 3, 2006.

1. 2006 arrived here in Northern California with serial winter storms. That meant lots of wind, rain and local flooding. I found these Hydrologists today out in the rain testing the waters of the Los Trancos Creek, which wanders back and forth across the boundaries of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. Their job was to determine the amount of sedimentation the storms were bringing to a nearby steelhead trout fish ladder located on Stanford University lands.

This photo op was a chance for me to try out my 18-200 VR in the rain. All these images were shot as RAW images, at ISO 800, f/7.1 and with shutter speed of 1/25 to 1/80 of a sec. in Aperature priority on the D70.

http://www.beaucamera.com/imagegalleries/gallery_fish_test.htm

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Okay, my eyes are better than Paul's, so I'm not complaining. But would also like to see larger photos.

So Virginia, and other CA members, how's the storm and rain affecting you?

4. Nice shots.

Paul, I wonder what your pixel pitch is?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good shots,
    Tad small here also :>))

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Hi, Paul

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the size of my pics. If you review other photo websites, I think you'll find the same story. This isn't necessarily optimal for what photographers want to see, I'll agree. The 768 X 1124 screen size has evolved to the current "standard" for general purposes, I believe.

Since it was raining when I took these pics, I didn't stay around to ask many questions, but I did get the business card of one of the hydrologists photographed here. If you'd like to know more, I'd be happy to PM you his contact info.

I also (belatedly) found this PDF which describes the apparatus and the testing detail.
    http://www.sfei.org/ccrs/pdfs/water_chem_protocol.pdf

Water is such a scare commodity in the western US. I'd almost forgotten what it is to really see a stream, to study what happens there, to delve into the mysteries of its ecological wonders. That pretty bad for somebody who has a BA in Biology! Could this be new opportunites for rediscovering past loves?

Maybe one of you will get interested too!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Phil, we've had a lot of rain (typical for this time of the year). This creates a lot of associated problems, such as flooding and mudslides. What was different about the recent storms was the high gusty winds that came along with the rain. Here's what happened to the power lines near me. We were without power twice in the first two days of the year, the first time for about 24 hours. There were a lot of trees that were knocked down.

[​IMG]

Virginia
    aka beaucamera