Street Art

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dkapp, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    One of my many current projects right now is trying to embed with a local street art group (gang), not sure the correct term. I'd love to be able to document their life, and their art on one project from start to finish. I really want to get the entire picture. From their lives, their hangout, the lifestyle & the art. I want to get in their mind & capture it to my best abilities.

This is proving to be quite hard. Like any borderline illegal organized group, the hardest part is finding them, then gaining their trust. I've got a few good leads in the past, but nothing has materialized yet. I'll keep plugging away, and will let you know if I catch a break.

This shot is my latest in my gallery documenting the art. Most of this stuff doesn't last long as its painted over very quickly.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :D

Dave

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Can't say I'm a big fan of street graffiti "art", but there is no denying that some of these kids have some incredible artistic ability.

3. Good Kappture Dave! It's seems as a very interesting kind of photography the one you pursue.
    :D Is there an "orange book" or a manual of howtos or dos and donts? :?

4. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks for stopping by and taking a look Todd. There aren't many street shooters here on this bird forum, but I'm having fun either way.

Dave

5. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the comments Panos. Your right, my style is a bit different from the rest of the shots on the forum, but they say variety is the spice of life :D

Dave

6. A great shot ! I've always looked at Graffiti Art (or whatever you want to call it) with great interest. There are some incredibly talented youngsters out there - unfortunately, a lot of there work is in difficult to access places.

7. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Dave

Pretty awesome picture. Stay safe !

8. Very colorful shot Dave!! Good going!! :) :) :) :)

9. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the comments Dougie. San Francisco is a unique city with their street art. Many of the local business hire these guys to decorate a side of their building, but there are still a lot done illegally.

I hope to improve on my series by connecting with the people behind them. I'll keep plugging away until I get it right :D

Dave

10. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Bryan!

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shot Dave. You certainly live on the edge in your photographic interests.

I'll say one thing; it takes a lot more imagination (not to mention guts) to go after images like this. My biggest risk at the duck pond is that I get a little sunburn. :?

Let us see more. :wink:

Frank