Street Photography 101: "Charmed Life"

P

phatnev

Ah after link hopping and reading up on alot of the guys interviewed, I grabbed my D200, yanked off the battery grip, threw on the MF 28mm 3.5 and went out and shot. Im COLD!!!

Thank you for the feedback

I did not put the best images in that post. Street Photography is a challenge, I have a few good pictures in my collection now and less excellent ones and some that would perhaps make you say, "Wow! I wish I had taken that one myself!" however yes most are not true keepers and I just started. Still working on it but you are all so encouraging.

I will post more "Street Photography" threads in the coming days. It would be great to have a "Street" sub fora on Nikon Cafe, seems a few people have an interest in it.

This community is truly fantastic, I really look forward to taking more time looking at people's contributions and sharing my photos and day to day experiences as well as little struggles and challenges.

More to come :smile:

I wanted to resurrect this thread. I really have an interest in trying this, but again, my fears of being "rude" hold me back. Think people will be less threatened if I have a 2yr old in tow?!?! :tongue:

What focal lengths do you find work best for this?

I wanted to resurrect this thread. I really have an interest in trying this, but again, my fears of being "rude" hold me back. Think people will be less threatened if I have a 2yr old in tow?!?! :tongue:

The best focal lenght for me has been 18 to70 mm... The Nikon 18-70mm lens has been great on sunny day I would actually put a circular polarized filter on it.

With a 2 year old? I dunno maybe, what I found is that if you go down the street alone or as a couple with only one person holding and having a camera people do not feel threatened but 2 to 3 people with cameras and you have "weirdo" plastered all over you"s" ... :rolleyes:

I am actually going to get a 17-55/2.8 to put on the D2Hs for street photography. I also found the 85mm fix prime lens to work very well however as I seem to really like head to toe pictures you can't be close to someone and get such a shot hence the widder end of the short telephotolens. For me the 18-70 was a great lens while for others they may be more comfortable with a 70-200 or even a 70-300 lens.

It is all about your comfort level. When I started I was uneasy about it and the more I did it the more comfortable I got with it. Keep pushing your limits

Super series, I really enjoyed the photos and the writeups.

Louie

Thank you Louie.

Nothing rude here Gretchen. This has your interest and it is a very good thread.
Now, be sure to show here what you come up with as you attack this subject :smile: .

Well, I'm considering a trip down into Boston this afternoon, hopefully to try this out at Boston Common. Should this fall through, I've got other ideas for Mt Tremblant in August, Vacation Bible school in July and hopefully a few local fairs between now and then. :smile:

Well, I'm considering a trip down into Boston this afternoon, hopefully to try this out at Boston Common. Should this fall through, I've got other ideas for Mt Tremblant in August, Vacation Bible school in July and hopefully a few local fairs between now and then. :smile:

How about a little inspiration, Gretchen? A little time spent on the linked site should provide plenty.

http://www.in-public.com/

Be sure to check out the shooter's galleries -- some stunning work there. I love street shooting. It's one of my fav things to do.

Phil

M

matthew.paul

For 35mm (FF sensor) I typically use between 35-50mm. I rarely find myself using telephotos. I've tried, but the images just lack the perspective that a wide lens gives it. Also, if you find yourself intrigued by street photography, you might want to pick up a cheap rangefinder - Many older ones can be picked up for under $50.

I'm really happy shooting street photography with a 50mm and recently with my 85mm ( boy do I love primes :biggrin: ) , used on either the D50 or the D2H. I feared at first that the D2H would be less than discrete but now I feel that people see me as a pro photographer ( yeah right ) and therefore might not ask themself why I'm shooting ( as opposed to a guy with a small camera, this might me more creepy ).

Anyway it's a very good way to overcome my shyness and to meet people that I wouldn't meet otherwise. :wink:

I

ipsofacto

SP is probably the most fun thing ever, I can't think of anything better to do with a day.

Real Name
Alex
I'm very glad this thread was resurrected as I completely missed it (it was created before I joined).

Excellent post Dude! I am always trying to do street photography and am too shy to try. I did a few (with kit 18-55) and will do with 18-70 I just purchased. I even tried night hand-held street photo with 50mm F/1.8 shooting the people window-shopping. Nothing great yet. Missed too many by being shy.

Got asked once, somewhat rudely, by a store clerk on why I took a picture of her. Actually I hadn't as I had pointed it towards the store counter and did not like the composition so I didn't shoot. I told her so and even showed her the last picture so she could see for herself. Not a pleasant moment, being confronted.

I have to learn this craft as I see such good street photo here and on the web and want to try my hand at it. This thread certainly helps.

Thanks.

I heard an interesting quote by a guest speaker at my camera club last week: from the time you see the picture that you want to take until the time the subject realizes what you're doing, you have 3 seconds.

Thought that was quite interesting. I'm sure that varies with focal length, but I do think the wider focal lengths allow more inclusion of environment/element and that's a large part of "story" to me with regards to street photography.

Real Name
Alex
After writing last message I walked out around 7:00 pm and tried my hand:

151247882-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

See the rest of this set at
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=1271481#post1271481

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you Alex!!!

Unfortunately for me, cities with any amount of people are a minimum hour drive. I do hope to get out soon, but require a tad of fore-planning. :wink:

R

robthorn

this is a great thread. thanks for posting. I get stuck by the beaches and they really think your a fruit loop walking around the beach with a camera. then again the beaches are great so it's a worthy trade.

What a great read!!! I'm so glad this thread got resurrected or else I never would have seen it. I'm so interested in SP and would love to get into it. I'm am not generally considered a shy person, but pointing my camera at people makes me self-conscious. Guess I need to get over that. :biggrin:

I really like the idea of street shooting - I'll be trying it out very soon!
Do you obtain model releases after taking a shot? Are these photos 'saleable' without a release?

French Bay, on the shores of the Mighty Manukau Ha
Ca va bien?

I like "half busted" and "half busted with wig" the most.
I`ve lived and worked in T.O. and MTL so you bring on home.
My fav T.O. shooter was Boris Spremo who was Toronto Star newspaper guy in the 50s thru 70s, and think hes passed on, as they say, but I would like to think Im wrong.
He inspired me to shoot and, if your not famiar with him,I know you`d love his work, really interesting from a historical perspective.
THX! for the memories.:smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom