Street Photography 101: "Charmed Life"

A

Arif

Great article and perhaps just what I needed to convince myself to try some as summer approaches here. I spent a week with the NG expedition in Venice and one thing I admired of the photographers was how easily they made the camera a part of their personality and how it became so unobtrusive even when in the face of strangers. For me that was a new lesson in communication.

Thanks again for the time to post such a nice article,
Arif

I'm really happy shooting street photography with a 50mm and recently with my 85mm ( boy do I love primes :biggrin: ) , used on either the D50 or the D2H. I feared at first that the D2H would be less than discrete but now I feel that people see me as a pro photographer ( yeah right ) and therefore might not ask themself why I'm shooting ( as opposed to a guy with a small camera, this might me more creepy ).

Anyway it's a very good way to overcome my shyness and to meet people that I wouldn't meet otherwise. :wink:

Julien - I'll have to try my hand at SP with a 50mm again and see what I come up with.

SP is probably the most fun thing ever, I can't think of anything better to do with a day.

I tottaly agree :smile:

I'm very glad this thread was resurrected as I completely missed it (it was created before I joined).

Excellent post Dude! I am always trying to do street photography and am too shy to try. I did a few (with kit 18-55) and will do with 18-70 I just purchased. I even tried night hand-held street photo with 50mm F/1.8 shooting the people window-shopping. Nothing great yet. Missed too many by being shy.

Got asked once, somewhat rudely, by a store clerk on why I took a picture of her. Actually I hadn't as I had pointed it towards the store counter and did not like the composition so I didn't shoot. I told her so and even showed her the last picture so she could see for herself. Not a pleasant moment, being confronted.

I have to learn this craft as I see such good street photo here and on the web and want to try my hand at it. This thread certainly helps.

Thanks.

Being asked happens, I think the first time we are never prepared but I was afterwards. Thank you for the kind words.

I heard an interesting quote by a guest speaker at my camera club last week: from the time you see the picture that you want to take until the time the subject realizes what you're doing, you have 3 seconds.

Thought that was quite interesting. I'm sure that varies with focal length, but I do think the wider focal lengths allow more inclusion of environment/element and that's a large part of "story" to me with regards to street photography.

3 seconds sounds about right and they'll forget about you about 3 seconds later :wink:

After writing last message I walked out around 7:00 pm and tried my hand

See the rest of this set at
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=1271481#post1271481

I really liked the last one of that set, the man crossing the bridge. To me it was the best of the lot. Keep posting your street photo pictures. Great stuff!

this is a great thread. thanks for posting. I get stuck by the beaches and they really think your a fruit loop walking around the beach with a camera. then again the beaches are great so it's a worthy trade.

Thank you, It all depends how you present yourself at the beach... I love the beach since most people smile a lot as they are there to have fun.

Afantasticdayatthebeach36RS.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What a great read!!! I'm so glad this thread got resurrected or else I never would have seen it. I'm so interested in SP and would love to get into it. I'm am not generally considered a shy person, but pointing my camera at people makes me self-conscious. Guess I need to get over that. :biggrin:

Thank you, I am still self-conscious at times doing it... :cool:

I really like the idea of street shooting - I'll be trying it out very soon!
Do you obtain model releases after taking a shot? Are these photos 'saleable' without a release?

They are saleable without a release, you just can't use them as advertizing or on promotional material without a signed consent or release, well you could but you could get sued, however selling them as art is okay! :biggrin:

I like "half busted" and "half busted with wig" the most.
I`ve lived and worked in T.O. and MTL so you bring on home.
My fav T.O. shooter was Boris Spremo who was Toronto Star newspaper guy in the 50s thru 70s, and think hes passed on, as they say, but I would like to think Im wrong.
He inspired me to shoot and, if your not famiar with him,I know you`d love his work, really interesting from a historical perspective.
THX! for the memories.:smile:

Don't know him, I will look him up. Yes the half busted shots are the best :smile:

Great article and perhaps just what I needed to convince myself to try some as summer approaches here. I spent a week with the NG expedition in Venice and one thing I admired of the photographers was how easily they made the camera a part of their personality and how it became so unobtrusive even when in the face of strangers. For me that was a new lesson in communication.

Thanks again for the time to post such a nice article,
Arif

Thank you for the kind word, can't wait to see some of your Venice pictures, having a camera at your side at all times does become second nature.

You got the juice out of it Dude... awesome work :smile:

Reading it again was double the pleasure :wink:

Thank you! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Boris Spremo

I like "half busted" and "half busted with wig" the most.
I`ve lived and worked in T.O. and MTL so you bring on home.
My fav T.O. shooter was Boris Spremo who was Toronto Star newspaper guy in the 50s thru 70s, and think hes passed on, as they say, but I would like to think Im wrong.
He inspired me to shoot and, if your not famiar with him,I know you`d love his work, really interesting from a historical perspective.
THX! for the memories.:smile:

check out Boris Spremo here http://www.phsc.ca/boris_spremo.html

R

robthorn

the boris guy is good his shots just aren't the same as the ones in this thread. or I closed his site too fast before I found them.

French Bay, on the shores of the Mighty Manukau Ha
I saw Boris photographing midget wrestlers at Maple Leaf Gardens, Little Beaver and Sky Lo Lo, and seeing some of that stuff in an exhibit.
You gotta remember old Boris shot some of this stuff on 4x5, he was a pioneer in Canada to use "miniature cameras", gasp!!!
I remember circa 1970 going to see an exhibit at the Colonade in Toronto and his street photography was revolutionary and inspiratonal to me.
He sounded a bit like "Bobby Boris Picket when he spoke, like,
"Whatever happened to my Transylvanian twist".
What other Toronto shooters were there........way back then...:confused:

Just posted some more tries from yesterday:

with borrowed Sigma 18-200
with Nikkor 50mm F1.8

Hope you like.

I really like the ones with the 50/1.8 specially the "Crossing with music" good stuff, I really thing prime is the way to do for street photography as it forces you to think about the pictures a little more but a zoom lens is great as you'd get more opportunities than you would with a prime simply on the composition side.

Great post Dude. I really enjoyed it.

Thank you! :smile:

M

Martin Hunter

I'm new to the party, so let me say: Thanks for this thread, Dude! I've taken very, very few in-the-face candid shots but really should step out and take more. I greatly admire people like yourself doing it with a lens as short as 70mm.

Martin

Thank you and more pictures [Link]

I'm new to the party, so let me say: Thanks for this thread, Dude! I've taken very, very few in-the-face candid shots but really should step out and take more. I greatly admire people like yourself doing it with a lens as short as 70mm.

Martin

Martin,

You are ver welcomed, I like to be close to the people I photograph. One almost ideal lens is the 85mm range, either the 1.8 or 1.4 will do. It is a ruch when you are 3 to 4 feet away from a person the first few times you press the shutter then it does get to be almost second nature.

I found the 17-55 to be a very versatile lens for street photography, I think a longer zoom lens is not ideal unless you talk about the 18-200, which is compact enough.

I am waiting for the 24-70 which I think will be truly ideal for street photography.

Here is a link to some Paris Street Photography: Paris Street Photography

Be warned this type of photography can become addictive and the great pictures are few and far between :wink:

One of the "best" threads, if not the best that I have read! Street shoot'in is what I do.
I shoot anything and everything. Thanks for a great read.

G

generic

I feel like offering encouragement. I really like sp and appreciate your effort to assemble and post all this. It's great. I've always liked this kind of shooting. I have the 18-200vr and a sig 17-70. Either seems to work for me.

I hope you keep this up. I'd love to see more but I think what is most enjoyable about the thread is your willingness to write enough to make them meaningful.

Your descriptions of photos and 'self' motivation are great.

gene

Thank you

love this thread, thanks!

Thank you

Very Cool Series!

Thank you

One of the "best" threads, if not the best that I have read! Street shoot'in is what I do.
I shoot anything and everything. Thanks for a great read.

Wow, thank you. I probably need to update this write up. A few things have changed since I first wrote it a few years back.

I feel like offering encouragement. I really like sp and appreciate your effort to assemble and post all this. It's great. I've always liked this kind of shooting. I have the 18-200vr and a sig 17-70. Either seems to work for me.

I hope you keep this up. I'd love to see more but I think what is most enjoyable about the thread is your willingness to write enough to make them meaningful.

Your descriptions of photos and 'self' motivation are great.

gene

Thank you Gene, I think I like doing the write up as much if not more than capturing images. I just haven't had a lot of time lately to do either. I did post the story of the image which started it all here: The Life of a Traveling Minstrel

True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)
Great thread. This has become my favourite type of photography (other than concerts). I can't wait for each trip into Toronto. I could spend a week just wandering around downtown. I usually have my 85 1.4 with me on those trips but day to day at home I carry my 35-70 2.8 back and forth on my daily commute. Some days I come home with nothing but other days I hit the jackpot. I've even taken to asking strangers if I can shoot them. You get a different sort of photo from them then but that isn't always a bad thing.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom